The nuclear pore complex and lamina: three-dimensional structures and interactions determined by field emission in-lens scanning electron microscopy.
AffiliationCRC Department of Structural Cell Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThree dimensional surface imaging was used to examine structural details of the nuclear pore complex. Subsurface structures were uncovered by detergent extraction, proteolysis, mechanical fracturing and combinations of these. Features observed in this way were mostly consistent with previous three-dimensional structures with some novel observations. In addition to cytoplasmic and basket filaments attached to each coaxial ring, we have observed radiating filaments within the central channel. New details of basket organization are presented, showing that basket filaments branch and are woven together to form the basket ring. The "central transporter" is shown to be a regular, consistent structure revealed after removal of overlying internal filaments. The lumenal ring is visualised and we present evidence that the lamina may be attached to the spoke ring complex. Finally we show that there is evidence for a novel structure, the "star ring", sandwiched between the cytoplasmic ring and the membrane.
CitationThe nuclear pore complex and lamina: three-dimensional structures and interactions determined by field emission in-lens scanning electron microscopy. 1996, 257 (4):848-65 J. Mol. Biol.
JournalJournal of Molecular Biology
- The nuclear pore complex: three-dimensional surface structure revealed by field emission, in-lens scanning electron microscopy, with underlying structure uncovered by proteolysis.
- Authors: Goldberg MW, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- Nuclear pore complex structure in birds.
- Authors: Goldberg MW, Solovei I, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1997 Aug
- Three-dimensional visualization of the route of protein import: the role of nuclear pore complex substructures.
- Authors: Rutherford SA, Goldberg MW, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1997 Apr 10
- The use of field emission in-lens scanning electron microscopy to study the steps of assembly of the nuclear envelope in vitro.
- Authors: Goldberg MW, Blow JJ, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1992 May-Jun
- Nuclear lamina and nuclear matrix organization in sperm pronuclei assembled in Xenopus egg extract.
- Authors: Zhang C, Jenkins H, Goldberg MW, Allen TD, Hutchison CJ
- Issue date: 1996 Sep