Attenuated function of a variant form of the helix-loop-helix protein, Id-3, generated by an alternative splicing mechanism.
AffiliationCRC Department of Gene Regulation, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Id family of helix-loop-helix proteins function as negative regulators of DNA binding, basic helix-loop-helix proteins in the regulation of cell growth and differentiation. We report here on the identification of a 17 kDa variant of the 14 kDa Id-3 protein termed Id-3L (long version) which possesses a unique 60 amino acid carboxy-terminus generated by read through of a 'coding intron' and alternative splicing. Northern analysis revealed expression of a minor 1.1 kb Id-3L transcript together with the predominant 0.95 kb Id-3 transcript in the majority of adult human tissues analysed. The variant Id-3L protein is functionally distinguishable from conventional Id-3 since in in vitro DNA mobility shift assays, it was greatly impaired in its ability to abrogate binding of the basic helix-loop-helix protein, E47, to an E box recognition sequence.
CitationAttenuated function of a variant form of the helix-loop-helix protein, Id-3, generated by an alternative splicing mechanism. 1996, 393 (1):113-6 FEBS Lett.
- Differential activity of a variant form of the human Id-1 protein generated by alternative splicing.
- Authors: Tamura Y, Sugimoto M, Ohnishi K, Sakai T, Hara E
- Issue date: 1998 Oct 2
- Glucose and other insulin secretagogues induce, rather than inhibit, expression of Id-1 and Id-3 in pancreatic islet beta cells.
- Authors: Wice BM, Bernal-Mizrachi E, Permutt MA
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Id helix-loop-helix proteins antagonize pax transcription factor activity by inhibiting DNA binding.
- Authors: Roberts EC, Deed RW, Inoue T, Norton JD, Sharrocks AD
- Issue date: 2001 Jan
- E2A basic-helix-loop-helix transcription factors are negatively regulated by serum growth factors and by the Id3 protein.
- Authors: Loveys DA, Streiff MB, Kato GJ
- Issue date: 1996 Jul 15
- Role of basic-helix-loop-helix transcription factors in Sertoli cell differentiation: identification of an E-box response element in the transferrin promoter.
- Authors: Chaudhary J, Cupp AS, Skinner MK
- Issue date: 1997 Feb