Attenuated function of a variant form of the helix-loop-helix protein, Id-3, generated by an alternative splicing mechanism.
AffiliationCRC Department of Gene Regulation, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Id family of helix-loop-helix proteins function as negative regulators of DNA binding, basic helix-loop-helix proteins in the regulation of cell growth and differentiation. We report here on the identification of a 17 kDa variant of the 14 kDa Id-3 protein termed Id-3L (long version) which possesses a unique 60 amino acid carboxy-terminus generated by read through of a 'coding intron' and alternative splicing. Northern analysis revealed expression of a minor 1.1 kb Id-3L transcript together with the predominant 0.95 kb Id-3 transcript in the majority of adult human tissues analysed. The variant Id-3L protein is functionally distinguishable from conventional Id-3 since in in vitro DNA mobility shift assays, it was greatly impaired in its ability to abrogate binding of the basic helix-loop-helix protein, E47, to an E box recognition sequence.
CitationAttenuated function of a variant form of the helix-loop-helix protein, Id-3, generated by an alternative splicing mechanism. 1996, 393 (1):113-6 FEBS Lett.
- Differential activity of a variant form of the human Id-1 protein generated by alternative splicing.
- Authors: Tamura Y, Sugimoto M, Ohnishi K, Sakai T, Hara E
- Issue date: 1998 Oct 2
- Id proteins negatively regulate basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor function by disrupting subnuclear compartmentalization.
- Authors: O'Toole PJ, Inoue T, Emerson L, Morrison IE, Mackie AR, Cherry RJ, Norton JD
- Issue date: 2003 Nov 14
- Vascular injury induces posttranscriptional regulation of the Id3 gene: cloning of a novel Id3 isoform expressed during vascular lesion formation in rat and human atherosclerosis.
- Authors: Matsumura ME, Li F, Berthoux L, Wei B, Lobe DR, Jeon C, Hammarskjöld ML, McNamara CA
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Genetic modification of human B-cell development: B-cell development is inhibited by the dominant negative helix loop helix factor Id3.
- Authors: Jaleco AC, Stegmann AP, Heemskerk MH, Couwenberg F, Bakker AQ, Weijer K, Spits H
- Issue date: 1999 Oct 15
- Expression of Id helix-loop-helix proteins in colorectal adenocarcinoma correlates with p53 expression and mitotic index.
- Authors: Wilson JW, Deed RW, Inoue T, Balzi M, Becciolini A, Faraoni P, Potten CS, Norton JD
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 15