Suppression of tumorigenicity in Ras-transformed fibroblasts by alpha 2(I) collagen.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign, Department of Gene Regulation, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital National Health Service Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTransformed fibroblasts exhibit reduced adhesion to substrata, a characteristic attributable in part to reduced expression/increased degradation of extracellular matrix (EM) proteins such as type I collagen. To directly assess the role of EM proteins in cellular transformation, a vKRas-transformed mouse fibroblast cell line was transfected with an alpha 2(I) collagen expression construct. Stable transfectants displaying a partial restoration of type I collagen expression showed a flatter morphology with increased adherence to the substratum. These clones also exhibited a reduced ability to clone in soft agar, slower growth kinetics, and suppression of tumorigenicity in nude mice. Restoration of type I collagen is correlated with down-regulation of ras oncogene-responsive NVL3 VL30 gene expression. These results suggest that in addition to suppressing tumorigenicity by promoting cellular adhesion and cytoskeletal organization, EM proteins such as type I collagen may also act to subvert oncoprotein signaling pathways associated with the malignant phenotype.
CitationSuppression of tumorigenicity in Ras-transformed fibroblasts by alpha 2(I) collagen. 1996, 7 (10):1353-60 Cell Growth Differ.
JournalCell Growth & Differentiation
- Suppression of the tumorigenicity of mutant p53-transformed rat embryo fibroblasts through expression of a newly cloned rat nonmuscle myosin heavy chain-B.
- Authors: Yam JW, Chan KW, Hsiao WL
- Issue date: 2001 Jan 4
- Decreased tumorigenicity of c-Myc-transformed fibroblasts expressing active USF2.
- Authors: Choe C, Chen N, Sawadogo M
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 1
- R-Ras promotes tumor growth of cervical epithelial cells.
- Authors: Rincón-Arano H, Rosales R, Mora N, Rodriguez-Castañeda A, Rosales C
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 1
- Gene expression profiling by DNA microarray analysis in mouse embryonic fibroblasts transformed by rasV12 mutated protein and the E1A oncogene.
- Authors: Vasseur S, Malicet C, Calvo EL, Labrie C, Berthezene P, Dagorn JC, Iovanna JL
- Issue date: 2003 Mar 19
- Increased cell-substrate adhesion accompanies conditional reversion to the normal phenotype in ras-oncogene-transformed NIH-3T3 cells.
- Authors: Shumaker DK, Sklar MD, Prochownik EV, Varani J
- Issue date: 1994 Oct