G2 chromosomal radiosensitivity in fibroblasts of ataxia-telangiectasia heterozygotes and a Li-Fraumeni syndrome patient with radioresistant cells.
AffiliationCRC Department of Cancer Genetics, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: To investigate whether the good discrimination we previously observed between ataxia-telangiectasia (A-T) heterozygotes and normal donors for induction of chromosome aberrations by X-rays in G2 lymphocytes is also seen in G2 fibroblasts. Also to investigate the G2 radiosensitivity of a patient with the cancer-prone Li-Fraumeni syndrome (LFS) whose fibroblasts are resistant to the lethal effects of radiation. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Fibroblasts were exposed to 0.5 Gy X-rays and harvested for metaphase analysis 90 min later. RESULTS: Four A-T heterozygote cell strains were all more sensitive than seven normal controls. The LFS strain with a germline TP53 mutation was twice as sensitive as the mean control value. CONCLUSIONS: Although chromosomal, radiosensitivity is seen in A-T heterozygotes and LFS cells, the former are radiosensitive and the latter radioresistant to cell killing. Repair defects may predominate in A-T heterozygotes, inadequate genome surveillance in LFS cells.
CitationG2 chromosomal radiosensitivity in fibroblasts of ataxia-telangiectasia heterozygotes and a Li-Fraumeni syndrome patient with radioresistant cells. 1997, 72 (4):435-8 Int. J. Radiat. Biol.
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Biology
- Chromosomal radiosensitivity in G2-phase lymphocytes as an indicator of cancer predisposition.
- Authors: Scott D, Spreadborough AR, Jones LA, Roberts SA, Moore CJ
- Issue date: 1996 Jan
- Cytogenetic response to G2-phase X irradiation in relation to DNA repair and radiosensitivity in a cancer-prone family with Li-Fraumeni syndrome.
- Authors: Parshad R, Price FM, Pirollo KF, Chang EH, Sanford KK
- Issue date: 1993 Nov
- Relationship between DNA double-strand break rejoining and cell survival after exposure to ionizing radiation in human fibroblast strains with differing ATM/p53 status: implications for evaluation of clinical radiosensitivity.
- Authors: Mirzayans R, Severin D, Murray D
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 1
- Delayed chromosome changes in gamma-irradiated normal and Li-Fraumeni fibroblasts.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Spreadborough AR, Greaves MJ, Birch JM, Varley JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Comparative human cellular radiosensitivity: II. The survival following gamma-irradiation of unstimulated (G0) T-lymphocytes, T-lymphocyte lines, lymphoblastoid cell lines and fibroblasts from normal donors, from ataxia-telangiectasia patients and from ataxia-telangiectasia heterozygotes.
- Authors: Cole J, Arlett CF, Green MH, Harcourt SA, Priestley A, Henderson L, Cole H, James SE, Richmond F
- Issue date: 1988 Dec