Methodology for selection of human antibodies to membrane proteins from a phage-display library.
AffiliationSection of Immunology, McElwain Laboratories, Institute of Cancer Research, Belmont, Sutton, Surrey, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe describe a simple antigen capture technique for the selection of a specific human antibody to p185erbB-2, a transmembrane glycoprotein, from a library of human Fab genes expressed on the surface of bacteriophage. Magnetic beads coated with the rat antibody ICR55 have been used to capture erbB-2 antigen from Triton X-100 extracts of SKOV3 cells. The antigen-coated beads have then been used to select bacteriophage displaying human Fab with affinity for p185erbB-2. After 4 rounds of selection, 65 phage clones were isolated which bound specifically to p185erbB-2 in a capture assay. Nine of the clones which gave the strongest reaction in an ELISA were selected for further development and the Fab genes were subcloned into the expression vector pUC119his6mycXba and electroporated into E. coli TG1. Colonies were grown, induced and the supernatants tested for the presence of secreted human Fab. Supernatants from two of the 9 clones contained human Fab and one of these bound specifically to erbB-2 in a capture assay, stained the membranes of the erbB-2 overexpressing cell lines BT474 and SKBR3 and immunoprecipitated a protein of molecular weight 185 000 kDa from SKOV3 cells. We conclude that a membrane antigen captured by specific monoclonal antibody can be used successfully to select phage displaying human antibodies specific for the antigen.
CitationMethodology for selection of human antibodies to membrane proteins from a phage-display library. 1997, 204 (2):193-203 J. Immunol. Methods
JournalJournal of Immunological Methods
- Cloning and expression of human V-genes derived from phage display libraries as fully assembled human anti-TNF alpha monoclonal antibodies.
- Authors: Mahler SM, Marquis CP, Brown G, Roberts A, Hoogenboom HR
- Issue date: 1997 Mar
- [Selection and characterization of human antibodies against vascular endothelial growth factor from human phage display antibody library].
- Authors: Tian X, Shou C, Dong Z
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Isolation of human anti-c-erbB-2 Fabs from a lymph node-derived phage display library.
- Authors: Clark MA, Hawkins NJ, Papaioannou A, Fiddes RJ, Ward RL
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- Determination of the relative affinities of antibody fragments expressed in Escherichia coli by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
- Authors: Watkins JD, Beuerlein G, Pecht G, McFadden PR, Glaser SM, Huse WD
- Issue date: 1997 Nov 1
- Recombinant human monoclonal Fab fragments against rotavirus from phage display combinatorial libraries.
- Authors: Itoh K, Nakagomi O, Suzuki K, Inoue K, Tada H, Suzuki T
- Issue date: 1999 Jan