Ectopic expression of Bcl-2, but not Bcl-xL rescues Ramos B cells from Fas-mediated apoptosis.
AffiliationInfection and Immunity Research Group, Division of Life Sciences, King's College London, GB.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe human Burkitt lymphoma Ramos B cell line can be induced to undergo apoptosis in response to a variety of different agents, including calcium ionophores, anti-immunoglobulin (Ig) and macromolecular synthesis inhibitors. In addition, following up-regulation of the Fas (CD95) surface receptor by CD40 ligation, these cells also become susceptible to apoptosis induction by Fas ligation. We have previously shown that protection from calcium ionophore- and macromolecular synthesis inhibitor-induced apoptosis by CD40 ligation is associated with a rapid up-regulation of Bcl-xL followed by a more moderate and delayed up-regulation of Bcl-2. We show here that overexpression of Bcl-xL, like Bcl-2, protects Ramos cells from apoptosis induction in response to calcium ionophore, anti-Ig and macromolecular synthesis inhibition. However, in contrast to Bcl-2, ectopic overexpression of Bcl-xL does not rescue from Fas-mediated apoptosis. Thus, in Ramos B cells, the Fas apoptotic pathway exhibits differential sensitivity to inhibition by Bcl-2 family members. These findings also suggest that CD40 signaling provides a switch which renders the cells susceptible to Fas-ligand mediated apoptosis through up-regulation of Fas whilst affording protection from anti-Ig-induced apoptosis through up-regulation of Bcl-xL.
CitationEctopic expression of Bcl-2, but not Bcl-xL rescues Ramos B cells from Fas-mediated apoptosis. 1997, 27 (12):3485-91 Eur. J. Immunol.
JournalEuropean Journal of Immunology
- Ligation of CD40 potentiates Fas-mediated activation of the cysteine protease CPP32, cleavage of its death substrate PARP, and apoptosis in Ramos-Burkitt lymphoma B cells.
- Authors: An S, Yap D, Knox KA
- Issue date: 1997 Nov 1
- Up-regulation of Bcl-xL expression protects CD40-activated human B cells from Fas-mediated apoptosis.
- Authors: Zhang X, Li L, Choe J, Krajewski S, Reed JC, Thompson C, Choi YS
- Issue date: 1996 Oct 10
- Distinct mechanisms for rescue from apoptosis in Ramos human B cells by signaling through CD40 and interleukin-4 receptor: role for inhibition of an early response gene, Berg36.
- Authors: Ning ZQ, Norton JD, Li J, Murphy JJ
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- Bcl-x protects primary B cells against Fas-mediated apoptosis.
- Authors: Schneider TJ, Grillot D, Foote LC, Núñez GE, Rothstein TL
- Issue date: 1997 Nov 15
- The role of bcl-XL in CD40-mediated rescue from anti-mu-induced apoptosis in WEHI-231 B lymphoma cells.
- Authors: Choi MS, Boise LH, Gottschalk AR, Quintans J, Thompson CB, Klaus GG
- Issue date: 1995 May