3H-thymidine labelling index (TLI) as a marker of tumour growth heterogeneity: evaluation in human solid carcinomas.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Italy.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMany studies deal with the analysis of cell kinetic, cytogenetic, biochemical and molecular cell biology parameters to identify prognostic factors relating to tumour growth but all methods use only a small part of the total tumour mass. This study is devoted to the analysis of the heterogeneity of the growth of human solid tumours assaying proliferative activity by means of 3H-thymidine labelling index (TLI) in a fixed number of samples collected in different areas of the lesion (larynx and colon cancers), or in different lesions of the same subject (breast and bladder cancers). Each sample (at the macroscopic level) was divided into small fragments (at the microscopic level) and proliferative activity was determined. The analysis of variance for hierarchical designs demonstrated that in all cases a high component of the variance is attributable to the subjects and to the fragments whereas the variance attributable to the different areas is very low. The heterogeneity of proliferative activity displays a higher focal variability among the fragments (microscopic level) compared with that among areas (macroscopic level) within subjects, provided an adequate number of fragments and cells are counted. In multiple synchronous carcinoma of the bladder the wide variability of proliferation among the single lesions demonstrated that it is necessary to analyse all the tumours in a subject because each one is characterized by a different cell growth potential.
Citation3H-thymidine labelling index (TLI) as a marker of tumour growth heterogeneity: evaluation in human solid carcinomas., 30 (3-4):117-26 Cell Prolif.
- Labeling index in squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx.
- Authors: Balzi M, Ninu BM, Becciolini A, Scubla E, Boanini P, Gallina E, Gallo O, Fini-Storchi O, Bondi R
- Issue date: 1991 Jul-Aug
- Cell proliferation in 3,800 node-negative breast cancers: consistency over time of biological and clinical information provided by 3H-thymidine labelling index.
- Authors: Silvestrini R, Daidone MG, Luisi A, Mastore M, Leutner M, Salvadori B
- Issue date: 1997 Feb 20
- Colonic cell proliferation in normal mucosa of patients with colon cancer.
- Authors: Becciolini A, Balzi M, Faraoni P, Tisti E, Zappoli Thyrion G, Giachè V, Bandettini L, Potten CS
- Issue date: 1998
- In vitro thymidine labelling of human pulmonary neoplasms.
- Authors: Kerr KM, Robertson AM, Lamb D
- Issue date: 1983 Feb
- Proliferative activity of primary breast cancer and of synchronous lymph node metastases evaluated by [3H]-thymidine labelling index.
- Authors: Daidone MG, Silvestrini R, Valentinis B, Persici P, Mezzanotte G, Squicciarini P, Orefice S, Salvadori B
- Issue date: 1990 Sep