A comet assay of DNA damage and repair in K562 cells after photodynamic therapy using haematoporphyrin derivative, methylene blue and meso-tetrahydroxyphenylchlorin.
AffiliationLaser Oncology Programme and Cancer Research Campaign Department of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital (NHS) Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSingle-cell electrophoresis (comet assay) has been used to evaluate DNA damage and repair in the human myeloid leukaemia cell line K562 after low-dose (predominantly sub-lethal) treatments of hyperthermia and photodynamic therapy (PDT). Three different photosensitizers were examined: haematoporphyrin derivative (HpD), methylene blue (MB) and meso-tetrahydroxyphenylchlorin (mTHPC). None of the drugs in the absence of light, nor in light alone, resulted in detectable DNA damage. However, a significant amount of DNA damage was detected immediately after treatment with haematoporphyrin derivative or methylene blue PDT compared with drug-only or light-only treatments; no residual level of DNA damage was evident for either drug following a 4-h post-treatment incubation at 37 degrees C. No significant DNA damage was detected after meso-tetrahydroxyphenylchlorin PDT or hyperthermia either immediately or 4 h after treatment. We conclude that the alkaline comet assay can be applied as an effective screening assay for DNA damage induced by a range of laser therapies.
CitationA comet assay of DNA damage and repair in K562 cells after photodynamic therapy using haematoporphyrin derivative, methylene blue and meso-tetrahydroxyphenylchlorin. 1997, 75 (12):1721-9 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- In vitro photodynamic antimicrobial activity of methylene blue and endoscopic white light against Helicobacter pylori 26695.
- Authors: Choi SS, Lee HK, Chae HS
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 2
- The effect of hyperthermia on murine leukaemia cells in combination with photodynamic therapy.
- Authors: Miyoshi N, Matsumoto N, Hisazumi H, Fukuda M
- Issue date: 1988 Mar-Apr
- Photocytotoxic and DNA damaging effect of temoporfin (mTHPC) and merocyanine 540 (MC540) on nasopharyngeal carcinoma cell.
- Authors: Yow CM, Mak NK, Szeto S, Chen JY, Lee YL, Cheung NH, Huang DP, Leung AW
- Issue date: 2000 Apr 10
- Effect of the TAT-RasGAP(317-326) peptide on apoptosis of human malignant mesothelioma cells and fibroblasts exposed to meso-tetra-hydroxyphenyl-chlorin and light.
- Authors: Pittet O, Petermann D, Michod D, Krueger T, Cheng C, Ris HB, Widmann C
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 27
- Modulation of colonic cancer cell adhesiveness by haematoporphyrin derivative photodynamic therapy.
- Authors: Foultier MT, Vonarx-Coinsmann V, Cordel S, Combre A, Patrice T
- Issue date: 1994 Apr