Transforming growth factor beta 1 expression in human colorectal tumours: an independent prognostic marker in a subgroup of poor prognosis patients.
AffiliationTumour Biochemistry Department, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMembers of the transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta family, in particular TGF-beta 1, are some of the most potent inhibitory growth factors in a variety of cell types. Resistance to TGF-beta 1-induced growth inhibition is frequently observed in colorectal carcinomas and is associated with tumour progression. Perturbations of TGF-beta 1 expression and function, therefore, may contribute to the loss of some constraints on tumour cell growth. In this study we have examined the expression of TGF-beta 1 and its precursor latency-associated peptide (LAP)-TGF-beta in human colorectal tumours using immunohistochemical techniques. In 86% of the tumours the LAP-TGF-beta complex was present in both the stromal and epithelial cells, whereas the mature TGF-beta 1 peptide was expressed in the glandular epithelium of 58.3% of these tumours. Intense staining for TGF-beta 1 was positively associated with advanced Dukes' stage. Furthermore, there was a significant correlation between the presence of TGF-beta 1 in the tumours and a shorter post-operative survival. This was most significant in a subgroup of patients who had received only a palliative operation. These results suggest that TGF-beta 1 expression may be useful as an independent prognostic indicator for a subgroup of patients who have a particularly poor prognosis.
CitationTransforming growth factor beta 1 expression in human colorectal tumours: an independent prognostic marker in a subgroup of poor prognosis patients. 1996, 74 (5):753-8 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- TGF-beta receptor 2 downregulation in tumour-associated stroma worsens prognosis and high-grade tumours show more tumour-associated macrophages and lower TGF-beta1 expression in colon carcinoma: a retrospective study.
- Authors: Bacman D, Merkel S, Croner R, Papadopoulos T, Brueckl W, Dimmler A
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 10
- The expression of transforming growth factor-beta1 is significantly correlated with the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and poor prognosis of patients with advanced gastric carcinoma.
- Authors: Saito H, Tsujitani S, Oka S, Kondo A, Ikeguchi M, Maeta M, Kaibara N
- Issue date: 1999 Oct 15
- Different expression of transforming growth factor beta 1 in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma and cystic neoplasms.
- Authors: Van Laethem JL, Resibois A, Rickaert F, Devière J, Gelin M, Cremer M, Robberecht P
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- High levels of transforming growth factor beta 1 in patients with colorectal cancer: association with disease progression.
- Authors: Tsushima H, Kawata S, Tamura S, Ito N, Shirai Y, Kiso S, Imai Y, Shimomukai H, Nomura Y, Matsuda Y, Matsuzawa Y
- Issue date: 1996 Feb
- Expression and role of thrombospondin-1 in colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Miyanaga K, Kato Y, Nakamura T, Matsumura M, Amaya H, Horiuchi T, Chiba Y, Tanaka K
- Issue date: 2002 Nov-Dec