AffiliationPsychological Medicine Group, Christie Hospital, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatient assessment underpins every aspect of nursing care. However, there is much evidence to suggest that many nurses lack the skills necessary to communicate effectively with their patients, and so assess their individual problems and concerns. Communication studies to date have been descriptive, or have concentrated on acquisition of skills without addressing the impact this has on patient care. This paper reviews a study of 44 hospice nurses who were taught assessment skills. It discusses the impact of training not only on their skill level, but also on their ability to elicit their patients' concerns. It concludes that simple skills training is insufficient to change clinical behavior, and discusses other factors which should be addressed in future training programmes.
CitationTraining hospice nurses to elicit patient concerns. 1996, 23 (2):280-6 J Adv Nurs
JournalJournal of Advanced Nursing
- Transfer of communication skills training from workshop to workplace: the impact of clinical supervision.
- Authors: Heaven C, Clegg J, Maguire P
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Evaluation of an integrated communication skills training program for nurses in cancer care in Beijing, China.
- Authors: Liu JE, Mok E, Wong T, Xue L, Xu B
- Issue date: 2007 May-Jun
- Evaluation of a counseling training program for nursing staff.
- Authors: Arranz P, Ulla SM, Ramos JL, Del Rincón C, López-Fando T
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Training programme in techniques of self-control and communication skills to improve nurses' relationships with relatives of seriously ill patients: a randomized controlled study.
- Authors: García de Lucio L, García López FJ, Marín López MT, Mas Hesse B, Caamaño Vaz MD
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Identifying and responding to depression in adult cancer patients: evaluating the efficacy of a pilot communication skills training program for oncology nurses.
- Authors: Brown RF, Bylund CL, Kline N, De La Cruz A, Solan J, Kelvin J, Gueguen J, Eddington J, Kissane D, Passik S
- Issue date: 2009 May-Jun