The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer breast cancer-specific quality-of-life questionnaire module: first results from a three-country field study.
Te Velde, A
De Haes, H
AffiliationNetherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. M.A.Sprangers@AMC.UVA.NL
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: To construct a breast cancer-specific quality-of-life questionnaire (QLQ) module to be used in conjunction with the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) QLQ-C30 and to test its reliability and validity cross-culturally. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Module construction took place after the EORTC guidelines for module development. The module--the QLQ-BR23--consists of 23 items covering symptoms and side effects related to different treatment modalities, body image, sexuality, and future perspective. This module was tested in 170 Dutch, 168 Spanish, and 158 American cancer patients at two points in time. The timing for the Dutch and Spanish patients was before and during treatment with radiotherapy or chemotherapy. For the American patients, the questionnaire was administered at admission at the breast clinic and 3 months after the first assessment. RESULTS: Multitrait scaling analysis confirmed the hypothesized structure of four of the five scales. Cronbach's alpha coefficients were, in general, lowest in Spain (range; .46 to .94) and highest in the United States (range; .70 to .91). On the basis of known-groups comparisons, selective scales distinguished clearly between patients differing in disease stage, previous surgery, performance status, and treatment modality, according to expectation. Additionally, selective scales detected change over time as a function of changes in performance status and treatment-induced change. CONCLUSION: These results lend support to the clinical and cross-cultural validity of the QLQ-BR23 as a supplementary questionnaire for assessing specific quality-of-life issues relevant to patients with breast cancer.
CitationThe European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer breast cancer-specific quality-of-life questionnaire module: first results from a three-country field study. 1996, 14 (10):2756-68 J. Clin. Oncol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- The construction and testing of the EORTC colorectal cancer-specific quality of life questionnaire module (QLQ-CR38). European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Study Group on Quality of Life.
- Authors: Sprangers MA, te Velde A, Aaronson NK
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- Cross-cultural application of the Korean version of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Breast-Cancer-Specific Quality of Life Questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-BR23).
- Authors: Yun YH, Bae SH, Kang IO, Shin KH, Lee R, Kwon SI, Park YS, Lee ES
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Validity of the Greek EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-BR23 for measuring health-related quality of life in breast cancer patients.
- Authors: Kontodimopoulos N, Ntinoulis K, Niakas D
- Issue date: 2011 May
- [Validity and reliability of the quality of life questionnaire (EORTC QLQ C30) and its breast cancer module (EORTC QLQ BR23)].
- Authors: Zawisza K, Tobiasz-Adamczyk B, Nowak W, Kulig J, Jedrys J
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Validation of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaires for Arabic-speaking Populations.
- Authors: Awad MA, Denic S, El Taji H
- Issue date: 2008 Sep