The consequences of fixed-pattern noise and image movement on electronic portal images.
AuthorsKirby, Mike C
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics Department, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFixed-pattern noise in electronic portal images (EPIs) is normally eliminated by dividing raw image data by an open-field calibration image (OFCI). However, for successful elimination, there must be exact registration between the two image sets. Any movement within the imaging system, such as that which occurs with gantry angle, will result in misregistration and a subsequent increase in noise. This paper describes, both qualitatively, by way of example, and quantitatively, by way of variance analysis, the consequences of misregistration and its effects on image quality. Our results show that image quality is found to degrade significantly with change in gantry angle, when a single OFCI is used, with a loss of low-contrast, fine detail. Variance is observed to increase over 2.5-fold. A simple solution of using multiple OFCIs is described, along with a technique for optimizing the number of images required, and the gantry angles at which they are acquired. When five OFCIs are used, the variance changes with gantry angle are limited to less than 20%. These changes are observed in both long and very short exposures (5 MU or 1 s).
CitationThe consequences of fixed-pattern noise and image movement on electronic portal images. 1996, 41 (11):2345-56 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- A multipurpose phantom for use with electronic portal imaging devices.
- Authors: Kirby MC
- Issue date: 1995 Feb
- Optimization of image quality and dose for Varian aS500 electronic portal imaging devices (EPIDs).
- Authors: McGarry CK, Grattan MW, Cosgrove VP
- Issue date: 2007 Dec 7
- Registration of electronic portal images for patient set-up verification.
- Authors: Matsopoulos GK, Asvestas PA, Delibasis KK, Kouloulias V, Uzunoglu N, Karaiskos P, Sandilos P
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 21
- The electronic portal imaging system Siemens Beamview Plus versus the conventional verification films CEA-TVS and DuPont COL-7. A critical appraisal of visual image quality.
- Authors: Gagel B, Schramm O, Harms W, Mulhern A, Wenz F, van Kampen M, Wannenmacher M, Eble MJ
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- [A quality control test of the image obtained with electronic portal imaging devices].
- Authors: Casanova Borca V, Pasquino M, Bertodatto M, Tofani S
- Issue date: 2001 Oct