Comet assay studies on the activation of two diaziridinylbenzoquinones in K562 cells.
AffiliationCRC Department of Cell Culture, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo versions of the comet assay have been used to identify the difference in the modes of action of AZQ (2,5-diaziridinyl-3,6-bis(carboethoxyamino)-1,4-benzoquinone) and BZQ (2,5-diaziridinyl-3,6-bis(ethanolamino)-1,4-benzoquinone) in human leukaemia K562 cells and a K562-derived resistant cell line, BZQR. Using the standard alkaline assay, AZQ produced dose-dependent changes in the mean comet moments from K562 cells, consistent with the formation of strand breaks. This damage was repaired over a period of 6 hr after removal of the drug. The resistant cell line, BZQR, showed much smaller changes in comet moment under identical conditions. In contrast to AZQ, BZQ did not produce any measurable strand breaks in the K562 or BZQR cells. However, the comet radiation/crosslinking assay and a fluorescence-based assay revealed that BZQ extensively cross-links DNA in K562 cells. The extent of cross-linking is greatly reduced in the resistant cell line.
CitationComet assay studies on the activation of two diaziridinylbenzoquinones in K562 cells. 1997, 53 (8):1115-21 Biochem. Pharmacol.
- Cross-resistance studies on two K562 sublines resistant to diaziridinylbenzoquinones.
- Authors: Ward TH, Haran MS, Whittaker D, Watson AJ, Howard TD, Butler J
- Issue date: 1995 Aug 8
- Induction of DNA strand breaks and cross-links by 2,5-diaziridinyl-3,6-bis(carboethoxyamino)-1,4-benzoquinone in Chinese hamster ovary cells.
- Authors: King CL, Hittelman WN, Loo TL
- Issue date: 1984 Dec
- DNA cross-linking and sequence selectivity of aziridinylbenzoquinones: a unique reaction at 5'-GC-3' sequences with 2,5-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone upon reduction.
- Authors: Hartley JA, Berardini M, Ponti M, Gibson NW, Thompson AS, Thurston DE, Hoey BM, Butler J
- Issue date: 1991 Dec 17
- The lack of correlation between toxicity and free radical formation of two diaziridinyl benzoquinones.
- Authors: Lea JS, Garner HJ, Butler J, Hoey BM, Ward TH
- Issue date: 1988 May 15
- Validation of the comet-X assay as a pharmacodynamic assay for measuring DNA cross-linking produced by the novel anticancer agent RH1 during a phase I clinical trial.
- Authors: Danson S, Ranson M, Denneny O, Cummings J, Ward TH
- Issue date: 2007 Nov