Phase II trial of rhIL-6 (interleukin-6) prior to and concurrently with VAD (vincristine, doxorubicin and dexamethasone) chemotherapy for patients with multiple myeloma.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe examined the tolerability and safety of interleukin-6 (rhIL-6) when administered prior to and concurrent with vincristine, doxorubicin and dexamethasone (VAD) in patients with progressive multiple myeloma previously treated with VAD alone. Typical rhIL-6-related effects such as fever, chills, acute phase reactions and reversible abnormalities in liver function tests were observed. The study examined whether rhIL-6 predictably modulated indices of myeloma activity. No consistent, predictable change in myeloma-related parameters was documented upon rhIL-6 administration for either 8 days or 11 days prior to and concurrent with VAD. Two patients showed improved sensitivity to VAD chemotherapy when this was administered with rhIL-6. The overall response rate to rhIL-6 and VAD therapy in this study of relapsed and refractory patients was 50%, comparable to our previous experience with VAD alone in this cohort of patients.
CitationPhase II trial of rhIL-6 (interleukin-6) prior to and concurrently with VAD (vincristine, doxorubicin and dexamethasone) chemotherapy for patients with multiple myeloma. 1997, 33 (2):307-11 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- [Results of treatment of patients with advanced multiple myeloma with the vincristine-adriamycin-dexamethasone protocol].
- Authors: Marisavljević D, Bosković D, Radosević N, Elezović I, Tomin D, Gotić M, Antunović P
- Issue date: 1996 Nov-Dec
- [Preliminary report of fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone in treating refractory or relapsed multiple myeloma].
- Authors: Luo SK, Li J, Hong WD, Zhao Y, Tong XZ
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- VAD-based regimens as primary treatment for multiple myeloma.
- Authors: Alexanian R, Barlogie B, Tucker S
- Issue date: 1990 Feb
- Phase III study comparing vincristine, doxorubicin (Adriamycin), and dexamethasone (VAD) chemotherapy with VAD plus recombinant interferon alfa-2 in refractory or relapsed multiple myeloma. An Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group study.
- Authors: Gertz MA, Kalish LA, Kyle RA, Hahn RG, Tormey DC, Oken MM
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- A Phase II trial of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin, vincristine, and reduced-dose dexamethasone combination therapy in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma patients.
- Authors: Hussein MA, Wood L, Hsi E, Srkalovic G, Karam M, Elson P, Bukowski RM
- Issue date: 2002 Nov 15