The role of computed tomography in the management of ovarian tumours of borderline malignancy.
AffiliationDepartment of Diagnostic Radiology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOvarian tumours of borderline malignancy are a distinct histological and clinical entity diagnosed in up to 15% of patients presenting with an ovarian neoplasm. Compared with frankly malignant tumours, they have a much better prognosis, present at an earlier age, and the majority are stage 1 at diagnosis. This study reviewed 35 patients with ovarian tumours of borderline malignancy referred to the CRC Medical Oncology Unit at The Christie Hospital over a 9-year period and evaluated the role of diagnostic imaging, in particular, the value of postoperative computed tomography (CT). We conclude that in cases of FIGO stage 1 disease where there is complete macroscopic removal of tumour, there is no need for further routine imaging. If chemotherapy is to be given for patients with more advanced disease, a baseline postoperative abdomino-pelvic CT scan and a post-treatment scan are appropriate investigations.
CitationThe role of computed tomography in the management of ovarian tumours of borderline malignancy. 1997, 52 (4):280-3 Clin Radiol
- Intraoperative frozen section analysis for the diagnosis of early stage ovarian cancer in suspicious pelvic masses.
- Authors: Ratnavelu ND, Brown AP, Mallett S, Scholten RJ, Patel A, Founta C, Galaal K, Cross P, Naik R
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 1
- Oncologic and reproductive outcome after fertility-saving surgery in ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Ayhan A, Celik H, Taskiran C, Bozdag G, Aksu T
- Issue date: 2003
- Computed tomography, diagnosis, staging and follow-up of pure granulosa cell tumour of the ovary.
- Authors: MacSweeney JE, King DM
- Issue date: 1994 Apr
- Abdominopelvic CT scan findings after surgery for ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Razzaq R, Carrington BM, Hulse PA, Kitchener HC
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- Is postoperative computed tomography evaluation a prognostic indicator in patients with optimally debulked advanced ovarian cancer?
- Authors: Lorusso D, Sarno I, Di Donato V, Palazzo A, Torrisi E, Pala L, Marchiano A, Raspagliesi F
- Issue date: 2014