Adenomyoepithelioma of the skin: a case report with immunohistochemical and ultrastructural observations.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: The histological, immunohistochemical and electron microscopic features of a primary adenomyoepithelioma of skin, a rare sweat gland tumour, are reported. METHODS AND RESULTS: The tumour occurred on the back of a 92-year-old woman. It was composed of well-formed tubules lined by epithelial cells surrounded by clear or spindled myoepithelial cells. Immunohistochemically, the epithelial cells exhibited strong cytokeratin (CAM5.2) and weak carcinoembryonic antigen positivity. The myoepithelial cells showed diffuse positivity for smooth muscle actin and focal positivity for S100 protein. Ultrastructurally, the myoepithelial cells contained myofilaments with focal densities and hemidesmosomes. They were limited by well-formed basal lamina. The tumour was associated with a small eccrine spiradenoma. CONCLUSION: We predict that the tumour will behave in a benign fashion. There is no evidence of recurrence or metastasis 28 months later.
CitationAdenomyoepithelioma of the skin: a case report with immunohistochemical and ultrastructural observations. 1997, 31 (4):374-7 Histopathology
- Adenomyoepithelioma of the lung.
- Authors: Tsuji N, Tateishi R, Ishiguro S, Terao T, Higashiyama M
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Malignant adenomyoepithelioma of the breast with mixed osteogenic, spindle cell, and carcinomatous differentiation.
- Authors: Simpson RH, Cope N, Skálová A, Michal M
- Issue date: 1998 May
- Benign myoepithelioma of the skin.
- Authors: Fernández-Figueras MT, Puig L, Trias I, Lorenzo JC, Navas-Palacios JJ
- Issue date: 1998 Apr
- Myoepithelial differentiation in benign sweat gland tumors. Demonstrated by a monoclonal antibody to alpha-smooth muscle actin.
- Authors: Eckert F, Betke M, Schmoeckel C, Neuweiler J, Schmid U
- Issue date: 1992 Aug
- Immunohistochemical assessment of proliferative activity in mammary adenomyoepithelioma.
- Authors: Koyama M, Kurotaki H, Yagihashi N, Aizawa S, Sugai M, Kamata Y, Oyama T, Yagihashi S
- Issue date: 1997 Aug