Treatment of lymphoid cell malignancy with In-114m labelled autologous lymphocytes.
AuthorsSharma, Harbans L
Cowan, Richard A
Owens, Susan E
Nuttall, Pamela M
Smith, A M
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Biophysics, University of Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper is a preliminary report of a clinical trial for the treatment of patients with refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, using autologous In-114m-labelled lymphocytes. Fourteen patients have been treated so far with doses ranging from 69 to 211 MBq. All patients had progressive low grade NHL, resistant to chemotherapy and conventional radiotherapy. Following the intravenous administration of radiolabelled autologous lymphocytes 53% (range 33-92%) of the activity accumulated in the spleen, 35% (21-64%) in the liver and 5% in the bone marrow. The initial response in all patients was a rapid decrease in lymphocyte count in peripheral blood. 10 of the 14 (72%) patients showed a response to the treatment. In 2 patients, there was a complete response which lasted 24 and 36 months respectively, 8 patients showed a partial response of 2 to 17 months duration. None of the patients experienced any subjective toxicity although myelosuppression was seen in all patients. This is a novel concept for the administration of therapeutic radiation in a selective way for the treatment of lymphoid cell malignancy and has produced significant antitumour effect in patients with highly resistant disease. The trial is ongoing and a full report will be published on its completion.
CitationTreatment of lymphoid cell malignancy with In-114m labelled autologous lymphocytes., 17 (3B):1815-21 Anticancer Res.
- Autologous lymphocytes as vectors to target therapeutic radiation, using indium-114m, in patients with lymphoid cell malignancy.
- Authors: Cowan RA, Murby B, Gunton D, Owens SE, Hoyes KP, Sharma HL, Smith AM, Chang J, van Kessel B, Nuttall PM, Crowther D
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Bone marrow toxicity in mice treated with indium-114m-labelled blood cells.
- Authors: Hoyes KP, Wadeson PJ, Murby B, Sharma HL, Cowan RA, Lord BI
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- The behavior of autologous indium-114m-labeled lymphocytes in patients with lymphoid cell malignancy.
- Authors: Hamilton D, Cowan RA, Sharma HL, Drayson M, Nuttall PM, Wagstaff J, Deakin DP, Crowther D
- Issue date: 1988 Apr
- Factors affecting 131I-Lym-1 pharmacokinetics and radiation dosimetry in patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Authors: DeNardo GL, DeNardo SJ, Shen S, DeNardo DA, Mirick GR, Macey DJ, Lamborn KR
- Issue date: 1999 Aug
- Activity of interleukin-2 in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma following transplantation of interleukin-2-activated autologous bone marrow or stem cells.
- Authors: van Besien K, Margolin K, Champlin R, Forman S
- Issue date: 1997 Dec