Long-term results from the first UKCCSG Ewing's Tumour Study (ET-1). United Kingdom Children's Cancer Study Group (UKCCSG) and the Medical Research Council Bone Sarcoma Working Party.
AffiliationDepartment of Child Health, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this study was to evaluate multimodal chemotherapy and radiotherapy in patients with Ewing's sarcoma. 142 (74 male, 68 female) patients were entered into the ET-1 study between 1978 and 1986. They were treated with vincristine, doxorubicin, actinomycin D, and cyclophosphamide with radiotherapy plus or minus surgery to the primary tumour. Of the 120 who had no metastases at diagnosis, 45 remain alive with a median follow-up of 11.2 years. Only 2 of those with metastases at diagnosis remain alive. The major prognostic factor was site of disease, but age and serum lactic dehydrogenase at diagnosis also had an influence on outcome. 45 of the 61 patients who survived 4 years or more had late effects documented. The type and extent were dependent on tumour site, type of local therapy, volume and dose of radiotherapy. 4 patients had second malignancies. Prospects for long-term survival have improved in patients treated for Ewing's sarcoma. However, late sequelae are present in the majority of patients.
CitationLong-term results from the first UKCCSG Ewing's Tumour Study (ET-1). United Kingdom Children's Cancer Study Group (UKCCSG) and the Medical Research Council Bone Sarcoma Working Party. 1997, 33 (7):1061-9 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- A multidisciplinary study investigating radiotherapy in Ewing's sarcoma: end results of POG #8346. Pediatric Oncology Group.
- Authors: Donaldson SS, Torrey M, Link MP, Glicksman A, Gilula L, Laurie F, Manning J, Neff J, Reinus W, Thompson E, Shuster JJ
- Issue date: 1998 Aug 1
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for Ewing's sarcoma of bone: no benefit observed after adding ifosfamide and etoposide to vincristine, actinomycin, cyclophosphamide, and doxorubicin in the maintenance phase--results of two sequential studies.
- Authors: Bacci G, Picci P, Ferrari S, Mercuri M, Brach del Prever A, Rosito P, Barbieri E, Tienghi A, Forni C
- Issue date: 1998 Mar 15
- Local therapy and other factors influencing site of relapse in patients with localised Ewing's sarcoma. United Kingdom Children's Cancer Study Group (UKCCSG).
- Authors: Shankar AG, Pinkerton CR, Atra A, Ashley S, Lewis I, Spooner D, Cannon S, Grimer R, Cotterill SJ, Craft AW
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Treatment of metastatic Ewing's sarcoma or primitive neuroectodermal tumor of bone: evaluation of combination ifosfamide and etoposide--a Children's Cancer Group and Pediatric Oncology Group study.
- Authors: Miser JS, Krailo MD, Tarbell NJ, Link MP, Fryer CJ, Pritchard DJ, Gebhardt MC, Dickman PS, Perlman EJ, Meyers PA, Donaldson SS, Moore S, Rausen AR, Vietti TJ, Grier HE
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 15
- Ewing's sarcoma treatment in Scandinavia 1984-1990--ten-year results of the Scandinavian Sarcoma Group Protocol SSGIV.
- Authors: Nilbert M, Saeter G, Elomaa I, Monge OR, Wiebe T, Alvegård TA
- Issue date: 1998