Nodular erythema elevatum diutinum mimicking cutaneous neoplasms.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: We describe the cutaneous pseudoneoplastic lesions in two patients with nodular erythema elevatum diutinum, a rare chronic disorder in which polymorph nuclear fragmentation (leukocytoclasis) is present within dermal nodules showing spindle cells and fibrosis. In both cases diagnostic difficulty was encountered clinically and pathologically and various benign and malignant neoplasms were considered in the differential diagnosis. METHODS AND RESULTS: Immunohistochemically the spindle cells were negative for CAM5.2, AE1/3, S100 protein and desmin (D33). They were positive for vimentin and focally positive for CD34 and alpha-smooth muscle actin. Some of the spindle cells were positive for Mac 387 and KP1(CD68). By electron microscopy, the lesions were shown to consist of fibroblasts/myofibroblasts and fusiform macrophages. CONCLUSIONS: Increased awareness of the features described will help to avoid misdiagnosis as a neoplastic process.
CitationNodular erythema elevatum diutinum mimicking cutaneous neoplasms. 1997, 31 (1):91-6 Histopathology
- Late-Stage Erythema Elevatum Diutinum Mimicking a Fibroblastic Tumor: A Potential Pitfall.
- Authors: Llamas-Velasco M, Stengel B, Pérez-González YC, Mentzel T
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- [Pseudoneoplastic lesion of erythema elevatum diutinum].
- Authors: Devillierre M, Verola O, Rybojad M, Levy A, Vignon-Pennamen MD, Morel P, Janin A
- Issue date: 2008 Aug-Sep
- The late stage of erythema elevatum diutinum mimicking cutaneous spindle-cell neoplasms: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Shahidi-Dadras M, Asadi Kani Z, Mozafari N, Dadkhahfar S
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- [What is your diagnosis? Erythema elevatum et diutinum].
- Authors: Schwarzkopf S, Lautenschlager S
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 8
- Late-stage nodular erythema elevatum diutinum.
- Authors: High WA, Hoang MP, Stevens K, Cockerell CJ
- Issue date: 2003 Oct