Use of electronic portal imaging to assess cardiac irradiation in breast radiotherapy.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn audit was performed to assess the frequency of cardiac irradiation in patients receiving radiotherapy for left-sided breast cancer. Images from an 'online' electronic portal imaging device were reviewed in patients who were treated with a tangential pair of megavoltage fields. In 169 consecutive patients treated on a Philips SL25 6 MV linear accelerator equipped with an SRI 100 imaging device, the cardiac apex was included in the radiotherapy field in 15 patients (9%). The long term sequelae of such cardiac irradiation is uncertain. The results of this audit suggest that careful treatment technique and quality control with portal imaging can minimize unnecessary cardiac irradiation in the majority of patients.
CitationUse of electronic portal imaging to assess cardiac irradiation in breast radiotherapy. 1997, 9 (4):259-61 Clin Oncol
- Unintended cardiac irradiation during left-sided breast cancer radiotherapy.
- Authors: Goody RB, O'Hare J, McKenna K, Dearey L, Robinson J, Bell P, Clarke J, McAleer JJ, O'Sullivan JM, Hanna GG
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- The role of electronic portal imaging in tangential breast irradiation: a prospective study.
- Authors: Lirette A, Pouliot J, Aubin M, Larochelle M
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- Cardiac and lung complication probabilities after breast cancer irradiation.
- Authors: Hurkmans CW, Borger JH, Bos LJ, van der Horst A, Pieters BR, Lebesque JV, Mijnheer BJ
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Cardiac dose from tangential breast cancer radiotherapy in the year 2006.
- Authors: Taylor CW, Povall JM, McGale P, Nisbet A, Dodwell D, Smith JT, Darby SC
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 1
- Radiation dose distribution in functional heart regions from tangential breast cancer radiotherapy.
- Authors: Wollschläger D, Karle H, Stockinger M, Bartkowiak D, Bührdel S, Merzenich H, Wiegel T, Blettner M, Schmidberger H
- Issue date: 2016 Apr