AuthorsEden, Tim O B
Birch, Jillian M
Campbell, Richard H A
Jenney, M E
Kelsey, Anna M
Lashford, Linda S
Stevens, Richard F
AffiliationDepartment of Paediatric Oncology, Royal Manchester Children's Hospitals Trusts, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Manchester pediatric oncology unit is the third largest unit in the United Kingdom, with approximately 120 new referred cases per annum (10% of the U.K. total). Research activities include a gene therapy program, peripheral blood stem cell studies, the genetic epidemiology of childhood cancer, late-effects research (growth, body composition, pulmonary, quality of life), psychosocial studies, and clinical trial organization. Both the clinical oncology service and research activities involve close team coordination and collaboration with scientists both within and outside Manchester. A comprehensive pediatric hematology service is provided. The unit contains the second largest children's hemophilia service in the United Kingdom, serving 200 patients with congenital blood disorders. Twenty-five bone marrow transplants are performed each year (allogeneic, unrelated donor, autologous, and peripheral stem cell) for malignant and nonmalignant disorders. These activities are closely related to local, national, and international research groups.
CitationPediatric oncology and hematology in Manchester, England., 14 (3):191-7 Pediatr Hematol Oncol
JournalPediatric Hematology and Oncology
- Pediatric oncology and hematology in Birmingham, England.
- Authors: Mann JR, Darbyshire PJ, Goodman A, Hill FG, Gornall P, Hockley AD, McConville C, Morland BJ, Parkes SE, Raafat F, Ramani P, Spooner D, Stevens MC, Walsh R, Williams MD
- Issue date: 1999 Jan-Feb
- Academic pediatrics in the Emma Children's Hospital, Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam (The Netherlands).
- Authors: Stuve W, Weening RS
- Issue date: 1997 May-Jun
- Pediatric hematology and oncology in Children's Hospital of Nancy, France. Contribution to the organization of clinical oncology.
- Authors: Sommelet D
- Issue date: 1998 Sep-Oct
- Pediatric hematology and oncology at the University Children's Hospital, Basel, Switzerland.
- Authors: Kühne T, Di Gallo A, Avoledo P, Imbach P, von Schweinitz D, Hefti F
- Issue date: 2000 Jan-Feb
- Building a National Framework for Adolescent and Young Adult Hematology and Oncology and Transition from Pediatric to Adult Care: Report of the Inaugural Meeting of the "AjET" Working Group of the German Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology.
- Authors: Escherich G, Bielack S, Maier S, Braungart R, Brümmendorf TH, Freund M, Grosse R, Hoferer A, Kampschulte R, Koch B, Lauten M, Milani V, Ross H, Schilling F, Wöhrle D, Cario H, Dirksen U
- Issue date: 2017 Jun