Late tissue effects following radiotherapy and neoadjuvant hormone therapy of the prostate measured with quantitative magnetic resonance imaging.
AffiliationImaging Science and Biomedical Engineering, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: To use quantitative MRI to detect changes in the vascular and MR relaxation characteristics of the prostate gland 1 year after external beam radiotherapy. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Twenty-one patients underwent MRI before and after external beam radiotherapy for prostatic adenocarcinoma. Tracer kinetics analysis was applied to data from regions of interest in prostate tumour, normal prostate peripheral zone and muscle to obtain estimates of blood flow, extravascular-extracellular volume, blood volume and capillary permeability surface area product. T(1) and T(2) were also measured in these regions. RESULTS: Significant changes (p<0.05) after radiotherapy were found in all three tissues examined. Tumour blood flow was 0.34 and 0.14 ml (ml tissue)(-1) min(-1) before and after treatment, respectively, and T(1) increased from 922 to 1,070 ms. In normal peripheral zone, extravascular-extracellular volume increased from 0.21 to 0.52 ml (ml tissue)(-1), and T(2) decreased from 126 to 106 ms. In muscle, both permeability surface area product and T(2) rose, from 0.02 to 0.06 ml (ml tissue)(-1) min(-1) and from 50 to 56 ms, respectively. CONCLUSIONS: Quantitative MRI can be used to measure significant changes in both vascular and MR relaxation properties of the prostate and nearby muscle following treatment for prostate cancer using external beam radiotherapy.
CitationLate tissue effects following radiotherapy and neoadjuvant hormone therapy of the prostate measured with quantitative magnetic resonance imaging. 2008, 88 (1):127-34 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Prostate cancer: evaluation of vascular characteristics with dynamic contrast-enhanced T1-weighted MR imaging--initial experience.
- Authors: Buckley DL, Roberts C, Parker GJ, Logue JP, Hutchinson CE
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- The potential for normal tissue dose reduction with neoadjuvant hormonal therapy in conformal treatment planning for stage C prostate cancer.
- Authors: Yang FE, Chen GT, Ray P, Vaida F, Chiru P, Hamilton RJ, Spelbring D, Abellera M, Vijayakumar S
- Issue date: 1995 Dec 1
- Use of neoadjuvant and adjuvant therapy to prevent or delay recurrence of prostate cancer in patients undergoing radiation treatment for prostate cancer.
- Authors: Pisansky TM
- Issue date: 2003 Dec 29
- [Prostate cancer external beam radiotherapy].
- Authors: de Crevoisier R, Pommier P, Latorzeff I, Chapet O, Chauvet B, Hennequin C
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Phase III trial of long-term adjuvant androgen deprivation after neoadjuvant hormonal cytoreduction and radiotherapy in locally advanced carcinoma of the prostate: the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Protocol 92-02.
- Authors: Hanks GE, Pajak TF, Porter A, Grignon D, Brereton H, Venkatesan V, Horwitz EM, Lawton C, Rosenthal SA, Sandler HM, Shipley WU, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group.
- Issue date: 2003 Nov 1