Enhancing fraction measured using dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI predicts disease-free survival in patients with carcinoma of the cervix.
AuthorsDonaldson, S B
Buckley, David L
O'Connor, James P B
Davidson, Susan E
Carrington, Bernadette M
Jones, Andrew P
West, Catharine M L
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, The Christie, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. Stephanie.firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground:There is a need for simple imaging parameters capable of predicting therapeutic outcome.Methods:This retrospective study analysed 50 patients with locally advanced carcinoma of the cervix who underwent dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI before receiving potentially curative radiotherapy. The proportion of enhancing pixels (E(F)) in the whole-tumour volume post-contrast agent injection was calculated and assessed in relation to disease-free survival (DFS).Results:Tumours with high E(F) had a significantly poorer probability of DFS than those with low E(F) (P=0.011).Interpretation:E(F) is a simple imaging biomarker that should be studied further in a multi-centre setting.
CitationEnhancing fraction measured using dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI predicts disease-free survival in patients with carcinoma of the cervix. 2010, 102 (1):23-6 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Synergistic effects of hemoglobin and tumor perfusion on tumor control and survival in cervical cancer.
- Authors: Mayr NA, Wang JZ, Zhang D, Montebello JF, Grecula JC, Lo SS, Fowler JM, Yuh WT
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 1
- Association between host tissue vascularity and the prognostically relevant tumor vascularity in human cervical cancer.
- Authors: Höckel S, Schlenger K, Vaupel P, Höckel M
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Differential clinical characteristics, treatment response and prognosis of locally advanced adenocarcinoma/adenosquamous carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma of cervix treated with definitive radiotherapy.
- Authors: Chen JL, Huang CY, Huang YS, Chen RJ, Wang CW, Chen YH, Cheng JC, Cheng AL, Kuo SH
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Improved survival of patients with cervical cancer treated with image-guided brachytherapy compared with conventional brachytherapy.
- Authors: Rijkmans EC, Nout RA, Rutten IH, Ketelaars M, Neelis KJ, Laman MS, Coen VL, Gaarenstroom KN, Kroep JR, Creutzberg CL
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI of cervical cancers: temporal percentile screening of contrast enhancement identifies parameters for prediction of chemoradioresistance.
- Authors: Andersen EK, Hole KH, Lund KV, Sundfør K, Kristensen GB, Lyng H, Malinen E
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 1