Chromosome instability is a predominant trait of fibroblasts from Li-Fraumeni families.
AuthorsBoyle, John M
Mitchell, Erika L D
Greaves, Martin J
Roberts, Stephen A
Tricker, K J
Birch, Jillian M
AffiliationCRC Department of Cancer Genetics, Christie CRC Research Centre, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrevious work has indicated a role for p53 in cell cycle control, genomic stability and cellular responses to DNA-damaging agents. However, few data are available for human fibroblasts heterozygous for defined germline mutations in TP53. We report studies on 25 strains derived from 12 families with Li-Fraumeni syndrome (LFS) and 18 strains from normal volunteers. The families include three that are classical LFS families, but in whom no TP53 mutation has been found. In the families with mutations, increased longevity and resistance to low-dose-rate ionizing radiation showed a statistically significant association with the presence of TP53 mutations. However, not all heterozygotes had increased longevity or were radioresistant, and fibroblasts from cancer-affected members of LFS families without TP53 mutations showed no significant increase in either of these end points. In contrast, all mutation-carrying strains showed evidence of genomic instability, expressed as aneuploidy, and accumulated structural chromosome aberrations in up to 100% of cells, usually accompanied by loss of the wild-type TP53 allele, immediately before senescence. Levels of aneuploidy higher than in normal cells were also observed in fibroblasts from families without TP53 mutations, suggesting that chromosome instability is a major factor in determining the cancer proneness of these families.
CitationChromosome instability is a predominant trait of fibroblasts from Li-Fraumeni families. 1998, 77 (12):2181-92 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Chromosome instability in fibroblasts derived from Li-Fraumeni syndrome families without TP53 mutations.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Spreadborough A, Greaves MJ, Birch JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Genomic alterations associated with loss of heterozygosity for TP53 in Li-Fraumeni syndrome fibroblasts.
- Authors: Burt EC, James LA, Greaves MJ, Birch JM, Boyle JM, Varley JM
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Delayed chromosome changes in gamma-irradiated normal and Li-Fraumeni fibroblasts.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Spreadborough AR, Greaves MJ, Birch JM, Varley JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- The relationship between radiation-induced G(1)arrest and chromosome aberrations in Li-Fraumeni fibroblasts with or without germline TP53 mutations.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Spreadborough A, Greaves MJ, Birch JM, Varley JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 2001 Jul 20
- G2 chromosomal radiosensitivity in fibroblasts of ataxia-telangiectasia heterozygotes and a Li-Fraumeni syndrome patient with radioresistant cells.
- Authors: Mitchell EL, Scott D
- Issue date: 1997 Oct