Frequent alterations of cell cycle regulators in early-stage breast lesions as detected by immunohistochemistry.
AffiliationCRC Department of Cancer Genetics, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProgression through G1 phase of the eukaryotic cell cycle is tightly controlled by cyclin-dependent kinases (CDK). These proteins form part of a regulatory pathway including the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor (CKI) p16, D-type cyclins and the product of the retinoblastoma gene pRb. Aberration of any one of these components may lead to uncontrolled proliferation contributing to neoplasia. Three of these proteins, cyclin D1, pRb and p16, were analysed by immunohistochemistry on archival paraffin sections to determine whether expression patterns were different in preinvasive ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) and invasive breast tumours relative to normal. Genetic analysis of the gene encoding cyclin D1 (CCND1) was also carried out, using an intragenic restriction fragment-length polymorphism (RFLP) to assess possible allelic imbalance. A majority of the tumours studied (approximately 90%) showed abnormalities in expression of at least one of these proteins. Overexpression of cyclin D1 was found in approximately 49% cases, reduced expression of p16 in approximately 46% and reduced expression of pRb in approximately 37%. Allelic imbalance of cyclin D1 was found in approximately 57% cases.
CitationFrequent alterations of cell cycle regulators in early-stage breast lesions as detected by immunohistochemistry. 1998, 77 (9):1460-8 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Alterations in cyclin D1 expression in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in the Indian population.
- Authors: Mathew R, Arora S, Khanna R, Shukla NK, Mathur M, Ralhan R
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Deregulation of cyclin E and D1 in breast cancer is associated with inactivation of the retinoblastoma protein.
- Authors: Nielsen NH, Emdin SO, Cajander J, Landberg G
- Issue date: 1997 Jan 23
- Analysis of p53, p16(INK4a), pRb and Cyclin D1 expression and human papillomavirus in primary ovarian serous carcinomas.
- Authors: Bilyk OO, Pande NT, Buchynska LG
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Retinoblastoma and p16 proteins in mammary carcinoma: their relationship to cyclin D1 and histopathological parameters.
- Authors: Dublin EA, Patel NK, Gillett CE, Smith P, Peters G, Barnes DM
- Issue date: 1998 Feb 20
- Changes in expression of pRb, p16 and cyclin D1 in non-small cell lung cancer: an immunohistochemical study.
- Authors: Malusecka E, Zborek A, Krzyzowska-Gruca S
- Issue date: 1999