Loss of heterozygosity at chromosome 9p in ductal carcinoma in situ and invasive carcinoma of the breast.
AffiliationCRC Department of Cancer Genetics, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwenty-three cases of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), ten of which had an associated invasive component, were studied for loss of heterozygosity (LOH) of microsatellite markers on chromosome 9p and the results compared with a panel of 20 invasive breast carcinomas. In addition to the gene encoding p16, chromosome 9p is also thought to contain other putative tumour-suppressor genes. If the three panels of breast tumours showed LOH of markers in this region this would suggest that such putative genes were important in breast carcinogenesis. By studying both preinvasive and invasive breast tumours, it should also be possible to gain further information about the relationship between lesions of a different stage and to determine whether DCIS is indeed a precursor of invasive ductal carcinoma. Levels of LOH were low in the invasive-only set of tumours. Surprisingly, considerably higher levels of loss were observed in the tumours with an in situ component. Also, much heterogeneity was observed between different DCIS ducts or invasive tumour and DCIS from the same case.
CitationLoss of heterozygosity at chromosome 9p in ductal carcinoma in situ and invasive carcinoma of the breast. 1998, 77 (9):1439-47 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Allelic loss of chromosomal arm 8p in breast cancer progression.
- Authors: Anbazhagan R, Fujii H, Gabrielson E
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast with different histopathological grades and corresponding new breast tumour events: analysis of loss of heterozygosity.
- Authors: Smeds J, Wärnberg F, Norberg T, Nordgren H, Holmberg L, Bergh J
- Issue date: 2005
- Allelic loss on chromosome band 18p11.3 occurs early and reveals heterogeneity in breast cancer progression.
- Authors: Kittiniyom K, Gorse KM, Dalbegue F, Lichy JH, Taubenberger JK, Newsham IF
- Issue date: 2001
- Comparative analysis of loss of heterozygosity and expression profile in normal tissue, DCIS and invasive breast cancer.
- Authors: Zikan M, Bohm J, Pavlista D, Cibula D
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Loss of heterozygosity and microsatellite instability in ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast.
- Authors: Ando Y, Iwase H, Ichihara S, Toyoshima S, Nakamura T, Yamashita H, Toyama T, Omoto Y, Karamatsu S, Mitsuyama S, Fujii Y, Kobayashi S
- Issue date: 2000 Aug 11