Considerations for the use of plasma cytokeratin 18 as a biomarker in pancreatic cancer.
Smith, R A
Ward, Timothy H
George-Smith, S St
Neoptolemos, J P
AffiliationClinical and Experimental Pharmacology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Enzyme-linked immunoassays of full-length (M65) and/or caspase-cleaved (M30) cytokeratin 18 (CK18) released from epithelial cells undergoing necrosis and/or apoptosis, respectively, may have prognostic or predictive biomarker utility in a range of solid tumour types. Characterisation of baseline levels of circulating full length and cleaved CK18 specifically in patients with pancreatic cancer. METHODS: Plasma samples from 103 patients with pancreatic cancer stored at -80 degrees C were assayed for M65 and M30 levels. The median (inter-quartile range (IQR)) duration of plasma storage was 34 (23-57) months. Patients with metastatic disease (n=19) were found to have greater median (IQR) M65 levels (1145 (739-1698) U l(-1)) compared with the locally advanced (n=20; 748 (406-1150) U l(-1)) and resected (n=64; 612 (331-987) U l(-1)) patients (P=0.002). Elevated M65 levels were associated with poorer overall survival on univariate (P<0.001) but not multivariate (P=0.202) analysis. M65 concentrations also exhibited significant associations with concurrent serum-bilirubin levels (P<0.001) and the duration of plasma storage (P<0.001). CONCLUSIONS: Baseline plasma CK18 levels in pancreatic cancer are affected by the presence of obstructive jaundice and prolonged plasma storage. Clinical biomarker studies utilising serial CK18 levels are warranted in pancreatic cancer, provided consideration is given to these potentially confounding factors.
CitationConsiderations for the use of plasma cytokeratin 18 as a biomarker in pancreatic cancer. 2010, 102 (3):577-82 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Clinical evaluation of M30 and M65 ELISA cell death assays as circulating biomarkers in a drug-sensitive tumor, testicular cancer.
- Authors: de Haas EC, di Pietro A, Simpson KL, Meijer C, Suurmeijer AJ, Lancashire LJ, Cummings J, de Jong S, de Vries EG, Dive C, Gietema JA
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Clinical significance of serum M30 and M65 levels in metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Tas F, Karabulut S, Bilgin E, Sen F, Yildiz I, Tastekin D, Ciftci R, Duranyildiz D
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Method validation and preliminary qualification of pharmacodynamic biomarkers employed to evaluate the clinical efficacy of an antisense compound (AEG35156) targeted to the X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein XIAP.
- Authors: Cummings J, Ranson M, Lacasse E, Ganganagari JR, St-Jean M, Jayson G, Durkin J, Dive C
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 3
- Serum cytokeratin 18 as a biomarker for gastric cancer.
- Authors: Oyama K, Fushida S, Kinoshita J, Okamoto K, Makino I, Nakamura K, Hayashi H, Inokuchi M, Nakagawara H, Tajima H, Fujita H, Takamura H, Ninomiya I, Kitagawa H, Fujimura T, Ohta T
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Utilization of cytokeratin-based biomarkers for pharmacodynamic studies.
- Authors: Linder S, Olofsson MH, Herrmann R, Ulukaya E
- Issue date: 2010 Apr