Identification of the critical region of 12p over-representation in testicular germ cell tumors of adolescents and adults.
AuthorsMostert, M C
Verkerk, A J
Van de Pol, M
Van Kessel, A G
Van Echten, J
De Jong, B
Oosterhuis, J W
Looijenga, L H
AffiliationLaboratory for Experimental Patho-Oncology, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, University Hospital Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCytogenetically, testicular germ cell tumors of adolescents and adults (TGCTs) are characterized by gain of 12p-sequences, most often through isochromosome formation (i(12p)). Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) has shown that i(12p))-negative TGCTs also cryptically contain extra 12p-sequences. The consistency of 12p-over-representation in all histological subtypes of TGCTs, including their preinvasive stage, suggests that gain of one or more genes on 12p is crucial in the development of this cancer. So far, studies aimed at the identification of the relevant gene(s) were based on the 'candidate-gene approach'. No convincing evidence in favor of or against a particular gene has been reported. We combined conventional karyotyping, comparative genomic hybridization, and FISH to identify TGCTs with amplifications of restricted regions of 12p. Out of 49 primary TGCTs (23 without i(12p), 13 with and 13 unknown), eight tumors (six without i(12p) and two unknown) showed amplifications corresponding to 12p11.1-p12.1. Using bicolour-FISH, physical mapping, and semi-quantitative polymerase chain reactions, the size of the shortest region of overlap of amplification (SROA) was estimated to be between 1750-3000 kb. In addition, we mapped a number of genes in and around this region. While fourteen known genes could be excluded as candidates based on their location outside this region, we demonstrate that KRAS2, JAW1 and SOX5 genes are localized within the SROA. While KRAS2 and JAW1 map to the proximal border of the SROA, SOX5 maps centrally in the SROA. KRAS2 and JAW1 are expressed in all TGCTs, whereas one 12p amplicon-positive TGCT lacks expression of SOX5. The critical region of 12p over-represented in TGCTs is less than 8% of the total length of the short arm of chromosome 12. It will be helpful in the identification of the gene(s) involved in TGCT-development.
CitationIdentification of the critical region of 12p over-representation in testicular germ cell tumors of adolescents and adults. 1998, 16 (20):2617-27 Oncogene
- Expression profile of genes from 12p in testicular germ cell tumors of adolescents and adults associated with i(12p) and amplification at 12p11.2-p12.1.
- Authors: Rodriguez S, Jafer O, Goker H, Summersgill BM, Zafarana G, Gillis AJ, van Gurp RJ, Oosterhuis JW, Lu YJ, Huddart R, Cooper CS, Clark J, Looijenga LH, Shipley JM
- Issue date: 2003 Mar 27
- 12p-amplicon structure analysis in testicular germ cell tumors of adolescents and adults by array CGH.
- Authors: Zafarana G, Grygalewicz B, Gillis AJ, Vissers LE, van de Vliet W, van Gurp RJ, Stoop H, Debiec-Rychter M, Oosterhuis JW, van Kessel AG, Schoenmakers EF, Looijenga LH, Veltman JA
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 23
- Coamplification of DAD-R, SOX5, and EKI1 in human testicular seminomas, with specific overexpression of DAD-R, correlates with reduced levels of apoptosis and earlier clinical manifestation.
- Authors: Zafarana G, Gillis AJ, van Gurp RJ, Olsson PG, Elstrodt F, Stoop H, Millán JL, Oosterhuis JW, Looijenga LH
- Issue date: 2002 Mar 15
- Detection of chromosomal DNA gains and losses in testicular germ cell tumors by comparative genomic hybridization.
- Authors: Korn WM, Oide Weghuis DE, Suijkerbuijk RF, Schmidt U, Otto T, du Manoir S, Geurts van Kessel A, Harstrick A, Seeber S, Becher R
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- Fluorescence in situ hybridization analysis of chromosome 12 anomalies in semen cells from patients with carcinoma in situ of the testis.
- Authors: Meng FJ, Zhou Y, Giwercman A, Skakkebaek NE, Geurts van Kessel AD, Suijkerbuijk RF
- Issue date: 1998 Nov