Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor has distinct classes of binding site in heparan sulfate from mammary cells.
AffiliationSchool of Biological Sciences, Life Sciences Building, University of Liverpool, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor (HGF/SF) is a heparan sulfate (HS)-binding growth factor and morphogen for mammary epithelial cells that is produced by mammary stromal fibroblasts. HS chains, purified as peptidoglycans from a panel of cell lines representative of the ductal epithelial cell (Huma 123), the myoepithelial cell (Huma 109), the stromal fibroblast (Rama 27), and malignant mammary epithelial cells (MCF-7 and ZR-75), were used in a biosensor-based assay to identify the classes of HGF/SF-binding sites in the polysaccharide chains. At least three distinct binding sites were identified. One site exhibits fast association and fast dissociation kinetics [kass (1.4-7.7) x 10(6) M-1 s-1; kdiss 0. 0032-0.0096 s-1] and is present on the HS from benign Huma 123 epithelial cells, Huma 109 myoepithelial-like cells, and ZR-75 malignant cells. The second binding site, found on HS from the malignant MCF-7 cells, has slower HGF/SF-binding kinetics (kass 0.20 x 10(6) M-1 s-1; kdiss 0.00055 s-1). The third binding site possesses fast association and slow dissociation kinetics (kass 1.1 x 10(6) M-1 s-1; kdiss 0.00020 s-1) and was found on the HS isolated from the culture medium of the Huma 123 benign epithelial cells. The first and second binding sites have a similar Kd, 1-3 nM, while the third binding site has a considerably higher affinity for HGF/SF (Kd 200 pM). The three binding sites seem to be mutually exclusive, since each sample of HS possessed just one of the sites.
CitationHepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor has distinct classes of binding site in heparan sulfate from mammary cells. 1998, 37 (17):6003-8 Biochemistry
- Differential regulation of FGF-1 and -2 mitogenic activity is related to their kinetics of binding to heparan sulfate in MDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Fernig DG, Chen HL, Rahmoune H, Descamps S, Boilly B, Hondermarck H
- Issue date: 2000 Jan 27
- Appearance of basic fibroblast growth factor receptors upon differentiation of rat mammary epithelial to myoepithelial-like cells in culture.
- Authors: Fernig DG, Smith JA, Rudland PS
- Issue date: 1990 Jan
- Synthesis of basic fibroblast growth factor upon differentiation of rat mammary epithelial to myoepithelial-like cells in culture.
- Authors: Barraclough R, Fernig DG, Rudland PS, Smith JA
- Issue date: 1990 Aug
- Multiple aspects of the phenotype of mammary epithelial cells transformed by expression of activated M-Ras depend on an autocrine mechanism mediated by hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor.
- Authors: Zhang KX, Ward KR, Schrader JW
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Stimulation of DNA synthesis and cell proliferation of human mammary myoepithelial-like cells by hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor depends on heparan sulfate proteoglycans and sustained phosphorylation of mitogen-activated protein kinases p42/44.
- Authors: Sergeant N, Lyon M, Rudland PS, Fernig DG, Delehedde M
- Issue date: 2000 Jun 2