Stage- and subcellular-specific expression of Id proteins in male germ and Sertoli cells implicates distinctive regulatory roles for Id proteins during meiosis, spermatogenesis, and Sertoli cell function.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, The Windeyer Institute of Medical Sciences, University College London, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImmunohistological detection of each of the four Id proteins (Id1-Id4) in sections of mouse testis revealed a unique temporal and spatial expression pattern for each Id protein during spermatogenesis. Furthermore, each Id protein displayed a distinctive, dynamic pattern of subcellular distribution. Id1 was uniquely expressed in MI/MII spermatocytes undergoing meiotic division. Id4 protein was detectable in the cytoplasm of type A1 spermatogonia, as well as in late pachytene and in diplotene spermatocytes. Id2 protein, which was most abundant in Sertoli cell nuclei, was also detectable in pachytene and diplotene spermatocytes, but as with Id4, it was absent from MI/MII cells. In postmeiotic spermatids, Id1, Id2, and Id4 proteins were expressed in a stage- and subcellular-specific manner. Expression of Id3 was restricted to Sertoli cell cytoplasm. In malignant seminoma cells, all four Id proteins were abundantly expressed with accompanying changes in their subcellular distribution. The observed expression of Id proteins in postproliferative Sertoli cells and spermatids and during specific stages of meiosis implies novel functional roles for this class of transcriptional regulator during spermatogenesis.
CitationStage- and subcellular-specific expression of Id proteins in male germ and Sertoli cells implicates distinctive regulatory roles for Id proteins during meiosis, spermatogenesis, and Sertoli cell function. 1998, 9 (12):1015-24 Cell Growth Differ.
JournalCell Growth & Differentiation
- Developmental stage- and germ cell-regulated expression of a calcium-binding protein mRNA in mouse Sertoli cells.
- Authors: Kraszucka K, Burfeind P, Nayernia K, Köhler M, Schmid M, Yaylaoglu M, Engel W
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Hormonal regulation and differential actions of the helix-loop-helix transcriptional inhibitors of differentiation (Id1, Id2, Id3, and Id4) in Sertoli cells.
- Authors: Chaudhary J, Johnson J, Kim G, Skinner MK
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Temporal patterns of A-myb and B-myb gene expression during testis development.
- Authors: Latham KE, Litvin J, Orth JM, Patel B, Mettus R, Reddy EP
- Issue date: 1996 Sep 19
- Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor receptors during male germ cell differentiation in the mouse.
- Authors: Nalbandian A, Dettin L, Dym M, Ravindranath N
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- The mouse Tsx gene is expressed in Sertoli cells of the adult testis and transiently in premeiotic germ cells during puberty.
- Authors: Cunningham DB, Segretain D, Arnaud D, Rogner UC, Avner P
- Issue date: 1998 Dec 15