5T4 oncofetal antigen in gastric carcinoma and its clinical significance.
Roberts, Stephen A
Stern, Peter L
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology, Medical Pomeranian Academy, Szczecin, Poland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To evaluate the role of 5T4 antigen in gastric cancer progression and prognosis. DESIGN: A prospective study of 5T4 antigen expression in primary, secondary and recurrent gastric carcinoma, the relationship to selected prognostic parameters and the course of disease. PATIENTS: Eighty six patients operated on for gastric cancer. TISSUE: One hundred and twenty two gastric tumours were studied, including 86 primary carcinomas, 32 coexisting lymph node metastases and four recurrent carcinomas. METHODS: Immunohistochemistry using 5T4 monoclonal antibody on frozen sections. RESULTS: The 5T4 antigen was detected in 41% of primary gastric tumours including early gastric cancer. A strong relationship was found between 5T4 positivity and tumour histology. Thus, 52% of gastric carcinomas of intestinal type expressed 5T4 antigen compared with 28% of the diffuse type (P = 0.028). Among 16 sets of primary gastric carcinomas and regional lymph node metastases, coordinate 5T4 expression was seen in 14 cases; the other two showed acquisition of positivity on metastatic tumour cells (carcinomas of diffuse type). 5T4 antigen was detected more frequently in carcinomas with p53 accumulation compared with those with undetectable p53 levels (P = 0.015). The presence of 5T4 in cancer cells was correlated with poor short-term prognosis (24% vs 49% of 2 year survival for 5T4 positive and negative tumours respectively, P = 0.024). The effect on survival was evident in the p53 negative group, with patients 5T4 positive showing worse survival (28% vs 60% in 2 years). CONCLUSIONS: Our results suggest that the assessment of 5T4 expression in gastric carcinoma can be helpful in identifying patients with poor short-term prognosis.
Citation5T4 oncofetal antigen in gastric carcinoma and its clinical significance. 1998, 10 (6):479-84 Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol
JournalEuropean Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Oncofetal antigen 5T4 expression as a prognostic factor in patients with gastric cancer.
- Authors: Naganuma H, Kono K, Mori Y, Takayoshi S, Stern PL, Tasaka K, Matsumoto Y
- Issue date: 2002 Mar-Apr
- Prognostic significance of 5T4 oncofetal antigen expression in colorectal carcinoma.
- Authors: Starzynska T, Marsh PJ, Schofield PF, Roberts SA, Myers KA, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1994 May
- Beclin 1 expression is an independent prognostic factor for gastric carcinomas.
- Authors: Yu M, Gou WF, Zhao S, Xiao LJ, Mao XY, Xing YN, Takahashi H, Takano Y, Zheng HC
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- The expression of 5T4 antigen in colorectal and gastric carcinoma.
- Authors: Starzynska T, Rahi V, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1992 Nov
- Prognostic value of p53 protein and MK-1 (a tumor-associated antigen) expression in gastric carcinoma.
- Authors: Deveci MS, Deveci G
- Issue date: 2007