Bryostatin 1-tamoxifen combinations show synergistic effects on the inhibition of growth of P388 cells in vitro.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study shows that combinations of bryostatin 1, a novel modulator of protein kinase C currently under clinical evaluation, with the anti-oestrogenic agent tamoxifen caused a large synergistic enhancement of growth inhibition in P388 cells in vitro. The growth-inhibitory effects of bryostatin 1 in the presence of non-inhibitory concentrations of tamoxifen were increased by approximately 200-fold, whereas growth inhibition by tamoxifen in the presence of non-inhibitory concentrations of bryostatin 1 were increased over 30-fold. These data have been confirmed by isobologram analysis. The precise mechanism underlying this effect is unknown, although preliminary data implicating protein kinase C is presented. The magnitude of this synergistic effect, together with evidence of clinical responses seen when these agents were given sequentially in ovarian cancer, merits further study.
CitationBryostatin 1-tamoxifen combinations show synergistic effects on the inhibition of growth of P388 cells in vitro. 1998, 77 (2):216-20 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Establishment of a murine leukaemia cell line resistant to the growth-inhibitory effect of bryostatin 1.
- Authors: Prendiville J, McGown AT, Gescher A, Dickson AJ, Courage C, Pettit GR, Crowther D, Fox BW
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- Bryostatins selectively regulate protein kinase C-mediated effects on GH4 cell proliferation.
- Authors: Mackanos EA, Pettit GR, Ramsdell JS
- Issue date: 1991 Jun 15
- The bryostatins inhibit growth of B16/F10 melanoma cells in vitro through a protein kinase C-independent mechanism: dissociation of activities using 26-epi-bryostatin 1.
- Authors: Szallasi Z, Du L, Levine R, Lewin NE, Nguyen PN, Williams MD, Pettit GR, Blumberg PM
- Issue date: 1996 May 1
- Structural modifications of bryostatin 2.
- Authors: Pettit GR, Sengupta D, Blumberg PM, Lewin NE, Schmidt JM, Kraft AS
- Issue date: 1992 Apr
- Bryostatin 1 induces apoptosis and augments inhibitory effects of vincristine in human diffuse large cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Mohammad RM, Diwakaran H, Maki A, Emara MA, Pettit GR, Redman B, al-Katib A
- Issue date: 1995 Sep