O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase in pretreatment tumour biopsies as a predictor of response to temozolomide in melanoma.
AuthorsMiddleton, Mark R
Lunn, J M
Wedge, S R
Brampton, M H
Lind, Michael J
Lee, Siow Ming
Newell, D R
Bleehen, N M
Newlands, E S
Calvert, A H
Margison, Geoffrey P
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractResistance of tumour cells to methylating and monochloroethylating agents in vitro and in vivo has been linked to levels of the DNA repair protein O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase (MGMT). In a clinical trial of temozolomide in advanced malignant melanoma, the relationship between pretreatment MGMT levels in biopsies of cutaneous tumours and involved lymph nodes and clinical response to the drug has been studied. Among 50 evaluable patients, there were three complete responses (CR), four partial responses (PR), six with stable disease (SD) and 37 with progressive disease (PD), with an overall response rate of 14%. In 33 patients in whom MGMT level and clinical response could be evaluated, the tumour MGMT levels (fmol mg(-1) protein) were: CR, 158 +/- 119; PR, 607 +/- 481; NC, 171 +/- 101; PD, 185 +/- 42.3. Thus, measurements of pretreatment levels of MGMT in melanoma did not predict for response to temozolomide.
CitationO6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase in pretreatment tumour biopsies as a predictor of response to temozolomide in melanoma. 1998, 78 (9):1199-202 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- O6-methylguanine formation, repair protein depletion and clinical outcome with a 4 hr schedule of temozolomide in the treatment of advanced melanoma: results of a phase II study.
- Authors: Middleton MR, Lee SM, Arance A, Wood M, Thatcher N, Margison GP
- Issue date: 2000 Nov 1
- Predictive value of the MGMT promoter methylation status in metastatic melanoma patients receiving first-line temozolomide plus bevacizumab in the trial SAKK 50/07.
- Authors: Schraml P, von Teichman A, Mihic-Probst D, Simcock M, Ochsenbein A, Dummer R, Michielin O, Seifert B, Schläppi M, Moch H, von Moos R
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Down-regulation of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyl transferase enhances the effect of temozolomide in melanoma cells.
- Authors: Jiang G, Zheng JN, Liu YQ
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Multicenter phase II trial of temozolomide in mycosis fungoides/sezary syndrome: correlation with O⁶-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase and mismatch repair proteins.
- Authors: Querfeld C, Rosen ST, Guitart J, Rademaker A, Pezen DS, Dolan ME, Baron J, Yarosh DB, Foss F, Kuzel TM
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 1
- Analysis of O(6)-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase in melanoma tumours in patients treated with dacarbazine-based chemotherapy.
- Authors: Ma S, Egyházi S, Martenhed G, Ringborg U, Hansson J
- Issue date: 2002 Aug