Screening by mammography, women with a family history of breast cancer.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this study was to describe the experience of screening women under the age of 50 years with a family history of breast cancer. 1259 women attended the Family History Clinic in Manchester for their first and subsequent consultations between 30 September 1992 and 30 April 1997. All women were under the age of 50 years at the initial consultation and had a lifetime risk of breast cancer of 1 in 6 or greater. Seven prevalent, seven incident and two interval cancers were detected. The number of invasive cancers expected to occur if this high risk population had not been screened was 8.45 (in 2722 person years at risk). 12 invasive cancers were detected, giving a ratio of 1.42 (95% confidence interval 0.73-2.48). The overall cancer detection rates in this young, at risk population were similar to those in older women in the National Health Service Breast Screening Programme. The number of cancers detected in the study was greater than expected in this population. As the numbers were small, a national trial needs to be undertaken to confirm these results and to determine the long term effects of screening.
CitationScreening by mammography, women with a family history of breast cancer. 1998, 34 (6):937-40 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Screening women aged less than 50 years with a family history of breast cancer.
- Authors: Kollias J, Sibbering DM, Blamey RW, Holland PA, Obuszko Z, Wilson AR, Evans AJ, Ellis IO, Elston CW
- Issue date: 1998 May
- Personalizing mammography by breast density and other risk factors for breast cancer: analysis of health benefits and cost-effectiveness.
- Authors: Schousboe JT, Kerlikowske K, Loh A, Cummings SR
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 5
- Earlier detection of breast cancer by surveillance of women at familial risk.
- Authors: Tilanus-Linthorst MM, Bartels CC, Obdeijn AI, Oudkerk M
- Issue date: 2000 Mar
- Mammography screening for breast cancer in Copenhagen April 1991-March 1997. Mammography Screening Evaluation Group.
- Authors: Lynge E
- Issue date: 1998
- Natural history of breast cancers detected in the Swedish mammography screening programme: a cohort study.
- Authors: Zahl PH, Gøtzsche PC, Mæhlen J
- Issue date: 2011 Nov