Growth hormone replacement in patients with Langerhan's cell histiocytosis.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVES: To assess the impact of growth hormone on growth and the underlying disease in children with growth hormone deficiency as a result of Langerhan's cell histiocytosis. STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective analysis of data from the Kabi (Pharmacia & Upjohn) international growth database (KIGS) for 82 children with Langerhan's cell histiocytosis treated with recombinant growth hormone. RESULTS: At the start of treatment the median (10-90th centile) age was 9.0 (5.2 to 14.7) years, with a median height standard deviation score (SDS) of -2.0 (-3.5 to -0.9). The median pretreatment height velocity (measured in cm/year) was 3.6 (0.9 to 6.4); this increased to 8.8 (3.8 to 12.0) in the first year of treatment with growth hormone, and then remained significantly greater than the pretreatment height velocity at 7.3 (4.4 to 9.7) and 7.1 (4.1 to 9.3) cm/year in the second and third years, respectively. The median height SDS increased from -2.0 to -0.8 (-2.3 to 0.6) by the end of three years of treatment. There was no increase in the recurrence rate of the underlying disease and no adverse event could be directly attributed to growth hormone treatment, apart from one case of benign intracranial hypertension that resolved on stopping treatment with growth hormone. CONCLUSIONS: Growth hormone replacement treatment for patients with Langerhan's cell histiocytosis with growth hormone deficiency is beneficial and safe.
CitationGrowth hormone replacement in patients with Langerhan's cell histiocytosis. 1998, 78 (5):469-73 Arch. Dis. Child.
JournalArchives of Disease in Childhood
- Derivation and validation of a mathematical model for predicting the response to exogenous recombinant human growth hormone (GH) in prepubertal children with idiopathic GH deficiency. KIGS International Board. Kabi Pharmacia International Growth Study.
- Authors: Ranke MB, Lindberg A, Chatelain P, Wilton P, Cutfield W, Albertsson-Wikland K, Price DA
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Growth Hormone Treatment in Children With Prader-Willi Syndrome: Three Years of Longitudinal Data in Prepubertal Children and Adult Height Data From the KIGS Database.
- Authors: Bakker NE, Lindberg A, Heissler J, Wollmann HA, Camacho-Hübner C, Hokken-Koelega AC, KIGS Steering Committee.
- Issue date: 2017 May 1
- Age at growth hormone therapy start and first-year responsiveness to growth hormone are major determinants of height outcome in idiopathic short stature.
- Authors: Ranke MB, Lindberg A, Price DA, Darendeliler F, Albertsson-Wikland K, Wilton P, Reiter EO, KIGS International Board.
- Issue date: 2007
- Growth in pre-pubertal children with myelomeningocele (MMC) on growth hormone (GH): the KIGS experience.
- Authors: Trollmann R, Bakker B, Lundberg M, Doerr HG
- Issue date: 2006 Apr-Jun
- Growth hormone replacement and the risk of malignancy in children with neurofibromatosis.
- Authors: Howell SJ, Wilton P, Lindberg A, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1998 Aug