High-performance liquid chromatographic assay for the novel antitumor drug, bryostatin-1, incorporating a serum extraction technique.
McGown, Alan T
Dawson, Martin J
Jayson, Gordon C
Prendiville, Joseph A
Pettit, G R
AffiliationCRC Department of Experimental Chemotherapy, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie CRC Cancer Centre, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn HPLC assay incorporating a solid-phase extraction technique has been devised for bryostatin-1. Quantitation of bryostatin was found to be linear over the concentration range 0.012-25 microg/ml (0.2-25 ng on column) and was found to have a limit of detection of 0.2 ng on column, with a correlation coefficient of 0.9999. Following extraction of bryostatin over a range of concentrations from horse serum (0.012-25 microg/ml) and human serum (0.01-0.32 microg/ml) using a 100-mg C18 solid-phase extraction cartridge, extraction efficiencies consistently greater than 90% were obtained for extraction from horse serum and varied between 57 and 85% from human serum. However, on extending this work to blood samples from patients undergoing therapy with bryostatin-1, the drug was not detectable even at the maximum dose given, demonstrating the rapid loss of this agent from peripheral circulation.
CitationHigh-performance liquid chromatographic assay for the novel antitumor drug, bryostatin-1, incorporating a serum extraction technique. 1998, 709 (1):113-7 J. Chromatogr. B Biomed. Sci. Appl.
JournalJournal of Chromatography. B, Biomedical Sciences and Applications
- Preclinical pharmacology of the natural product anticancer agent bryostatin 1, an activator of protein kinase C.
- Authors: Zhang X, Zhang R, Zhao H, Cai H, Gush KA, Kerr RG, Pettit GR, Kraft AS
- Issue date: 1996 Feb 15
- A sensitive platelet activation-based functional assay for the antileukemic agent bryostatin 1.
- Authors: Carr ME Jr, Carr SL, Grant S
- Issue date: 1995 Jun
- High-Performance liquid chromatographic analysis of lactone and hydroxy acid of new antitumor drug, DX-8951 (exatecan), in mouse plasma.
- Authors: Oguma T, Yamada M, Konno T, Inukai K, Nakaoka M
- Issue date: 2001 Feb
- Determination of rofecoxib in human plasma and breast milk by high-performance liquid chromatographic assay.
- Authors: Zhang M, Moore GA, Gardiner SJ, Begg EJ
- Issue date: 2004 Aug 5
- Development and validation of a sensitive solid-phase extraction and high-performance liquid chromatographic assay for the novel bio-reductive anti-tumor agent RH1 in human and mouse plasma.
- Authors: Khan P, Abbas S, Hargreaves RH, Caffrey R, Megram V, McGown A
- Issue date: 1999 Jun 11