Relationships between different measurements of vascularity and clinico-pathological parameters in breast cancer.
Smither, Rachel L
Chisholm, D M
Moore, James V
Horan, M A
Schor, Ana M
AffiliationUniversity Department of Geriatric Medicine, Hope Hospital, Salford, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMicrovascular density has been put forward as an independent prognostic factor in breast cancer, with high levels indicating poorer prognosis. However, various studies have failed to confirm its prognostic value. The reasons for the contradictory results are not known, but it is believed that methodological differences are responsible. To test this hypothesis, we have used four different methods of assessing vascularity (average and highest microvascular density, microvascular volume and image analysis of vascular area) and related them to known prognostic factors in 51 cases of breast cancer NOS. All four methods showed a significant correlation with each other, with the exception of image analysis vs microvascular volume. The average microvascular density was significantly lower in p53 positive compared to negative tumours (median 38.4 and 66.2; IQR 31.1 and 49.4, respectively, p < 0.05). Vascularity, measured by the four methods, was not associated with nodal status or any other parameter examined.
CitationRelationships between different measurements of vascularity and clinico-pathological parameters in breast cancer., 18 (6B):4565-8 Anticancer Res.
- Flt-4-positive vessel density correlates with vascular endothelial growth factor-d expression, nodal status, and prognosis in breast cancer.
- Authors: Nakamura Y, Yasuoka H, Tsujimoto M, Yang Q, Imabun S, Nakahara M, Nakao K, Nakamura M, Mori I, Kakudo K
- Issue date: 2003 Nov 1
- Multivariate analysis of bcl-2, apoptosis, P53 and HER-2/neu in breast cancer: a short-term follow-up.
- Authors: el-Ahmady O, el-Salahy E, Mahmoud M, Wahab MA, Eissa S, Khalifa A
- Issue date: 2002 Jul-Aug
- 17 beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 and type 2 in ductal carcinoma in situ and intraductal proliferative lesions of the human breast.
- Authors: Ariga N, Moriya T, Suzuki T, Kimura M, Ohuchi N, Satomi S, Sasano H
- Issue date: 2000 Mar-Apr
- FOXA1 expression in breast cancer--correlation with luminal subtype A and survival.
- Authors: Badve S, Turbin D, Thorat MA, Morimiya A, Nielsen TO, Perou CM, Dunn S, Huntsman DG, Nakshatri H
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 1
- Prognostic significance of bcl-2 expression in stage III breast cancer patients who had received doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel as adjuvant chemotherapy.
- Authors: Lee KH, Im SA, Oh DY, Lee SH, Chie EK, Han W, Kim DW, Kim TY, Park IA, Noh DY, Heo DS, Ha SW, Bang YJ
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 12