Post-radiotherapy osteomyelitis of the symphysis pubis: computed tomographic features.
AffiliationDepartment of Diagnostic Radiology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the clinical and computed tomography (CT) features of seven patients with osteomyelitis of the symphysis pubis following radiotherapy for bladder (n=4) or cervical (n=3) carcinoma. The patients presented with fistulae (n=5), pain (n=1) or small bowel obstruction (n=1) between 6 and 19 years after radiotherapy. The diagnosis was confirmed by surgery with histology or bacteriology of the symphysis pubis and/or associated abscess in all patients. In addition to bone destruction, other features identified on CT included abscesses, bowel loops adherent to the symphysis pubis and/or communicating with an abscess cavity, a soft tissue mass enveloping the residual bone, and fistulae. The combination of clinical and radiological features suggests osteomyelitis and, for patients who have had pelvic radiotherapy, this treatable condition should be included in the differential diagnosis of solitary symphysis pubis destruction.
CitationPost-radiotherapy osteomyelitis of the symphysis pubis: computed tomographic features. 1998, 53 (2):126-30 Clin Radiol
- Osteomyelitis of the pubis: a complication of a chronic indwelling catheter.
- Authors: Stern JA, Clemens JQ
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Pseudomonas osteomyelitis of the symphysis pubis after inguinal hernia repair.
- Authors: Mader R, Yeromenco E
- Issue date: 1999
- Prostatosymphyseal fistula and osteomyelitis pubis following transurethral resection of the prostate: CT and MRI findings.
- Authors: Plateau B, Ruivard M, Montoriol PF
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Postoperative pubic osteomyelitis misdiagnosed as osteitis pubis: report of four cases and review.
- Authors: Sexton DJ, Heskestad L, Lambeth WR, McCallum R, Levin LS, Corey GR
- Issue date: 1993 Oct
- [Infectious Inflammation of Pubic Symphysis (Symphysitis Pubis Purulenta): Five Case Reports and Literature View].
- Authors: Fridrich F, Báča V, Džupa V
- Issue date: 2016