Measuring quality of life: impact of chemotherapy for advanced colorectal cancer. Experience from two recent large phase III trials.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhen assessing the value of a particular treatment, it is important to consider the impact it may have on the quality of life of those being treated. This is particularly so for cancer patients, whose life expectancy may be short. Patients with advanced colorectal cancer who participated in two international comparative studies of raltitrexed ('Tomudex') vs standard 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) plus leucovorin (LV) completed previously validated quality-of-life questionnaires (EORTC questionnaire, EuroQol and Rotterdam Symptom Check List) at various times during the studies. Early statistically significant advantages of raltitrexed vs 5-FU plus LV on quality of life were observed at week 2 in five of eight of the EuroQol and three of four of the Rotterdam Symptom Check List dimensions. Such advantages were not observed using the EORTC questionnaire, which was not completed until week 12. The necessary dose delays and different dose schedules made it difficult in these studies to compare the impact on quality of life of the two treatments. It may be that performance status, effect on disease-related symptoms and the incidence of toxicity are the most important indications of a patient's quality of life.
CitationMeasuring quality of life: impact of chemotherapy for advanced colorectal cancer. Experience from two recent large phase III trials. 1998, 77 Suppl 2:9-14 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Mature results from three large controlled studies with raltitrexed ('Tomudex').
- Authors: Cunningham D
- Issue date: 1998
- New developments in cancer treatment with the novel thymidylate synthase inhibitor raltitrexed ('Tomudex').
- Authors: Blackledge G
- Issue date: 1998
- Phase II study of raltitrexed (Tomudex) in chemotherapy-pretreated patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Tomudex Cooperative Study Group.
- Authors: Sato A, Kurihara M, Horikoshi N, Aiba K, Kikkawa N, Shirouzu K, Mitachi Y, Sakata Y, Wakui A
- Issue date: 1999 Sep
- Overview of the tolerability of 'Tomudex' (raltitrexed): collective clinical experience in advanced colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Zalcberg J
- Issue date: 1997 Aug
- Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of tomudex combined with 5-fluorouracil plus levofolinic acid in advanced head and neck cancer and colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Caponigro F, Avallone A, McLeod H, Cartenì G, De Vita F, Casaretti R, Morsman J, Blackie R, Budillon A, De Lucia L, Gravina A, Catalano G, Comella P, Comella G
- Issue date: 1999 Dec