Lack of association between childhood common acute lymphoblastic leukaemia and an HLA-C locus dimorphism influencing the specificity of natural killer cells.
Taylor, G M
Gokhale, D A
Stevens, R F
Birch, Jillian M
Fergusson, W D
Eden, Tim O B
AffiliationImmunogenetics Laboratory, St Mary's Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrevious serological studies documenting an association between acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) and HLA-Cw antigens suggested that the HLA-C locus might influence susceptibility to ALL. However, associations with more than one Cw antigen suggest that polymorphic variants shared by more than Cw allele could be involved. Recent studies have shown that the HLA-C locus encodes two ligands (NK1 and NK2) recognized by receptors on natural killer (NK) cells. HLA-Cw alleles encoding these ligands are dimorphic, dependent on whether they encode one or other NK ligand. To determine whether susceptibility to the common (CD10+) form of childhood ALL (c-ALL) is associated with NK1 or NK2, we carried out a molecular analysis of 94 childhood c-ALL patients and 136 infant controls. We found no difference in the frequency of NK1 and NK2 alleles, phenotypes or genotypes between the patients and controls, suggesting that this does not explain the role of the HLA-C locus in susceptibility to childhood c-ALL.
CitationLack of association between childhood common acute lymphoblastic leukaemia and an HLA-C locus dimorphism influencing the specificity of natural killer cells. 1998, 102 (5):1279-83 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Genetic susceptibility to childhood common acute lymphoblastic leukaemia is associated with polymorphic peptide-binding pocket profiles in HLA-DPB1*0201.
- Authors: Taylor GM, Dearden S, Ravetto P, Ayres M, Watson P, Hussain A, Greaves M, Alexander F, Eden OB, UKCCS Investigators. United Kingdom Childhood Cancer Study.
- Issue date: 2002 Jul 1
- Unravelling an HLA-DR association in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Dorak MT, Lawson T, Machulla HK, Darke C, Mills KI, Burnett AK
- Issue date: 1999 Jul 15
- Natural killer receptors on CD8 T cells and natural killer cells from different HLA-C phenotypes in melanoma patients.
- Authors: Campillo JA, Martínez-Escribano JA, Moya-Quiles MR, Marín LA, Muro M, Guerra N, Parrado A, Campos M, Frías JF, Minguela A, García-Alonso AM, Alvarez-López MR
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 15
- Molecular diversity of HLA-Cw alleles in the Maratha community of Mumbai, Maharashtra, western India.
- Authors: Shankarkumar U, Ghosh K, Mohanty D
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Japanese population does not manifest significant association between low NK activity and HLA-B(C) locus homozygosity.
- Authors: Nagao F, Yabe T, Lin L, Tokunaga K, Juji T, Okumura K
- Issue date: 1997 Mar