PCR-ELISA for the early diagnosis of invasive pulmonary aspergillus infection in neutropenic patients.
AuthorsJones, M E
Fox, A J
Barnes, A J
Oppenheim, B A
Morgenstern, Godfrey R
Scarffe, J Howard
AffiliationManchester Public Health Laboratory, Withington Hospital, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIM: To evaluate a newly developed aspergillus mitochondrial gene PCR-ELISA assay for the early diagnosis of invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (IPA) in neutropenic patients. METHODS: The aspergillus mitochondrial gene was chosen for the amplification target for use with a solution hybridisation assay with colorimetric end stage detection in microtitre plate format (PCR-ELISA). The study group comprised neutropenic patients undergoing febrile episodes not responding to standard antibacterial antibiotics. Patients underwent computed tomography and bronchoscopy. Bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluids were examined by culture and PCR. RESULTS: The aspergillus mitochondrial gene PCR-ELISA was both sensitive (100%) and specific (100%) for IPA in neutropenic patients. All 12 patients with definite or probable IPA had PCR positive BAL fluids. None of the patients with undiagnosed or confirmed infections of other aetiologies were mitochondrial PCR positive. Speciation based upon amplicon size difference was possible. CONCLUSIONS: Aspergillus mitochondrial DNA PCR-ELISA on BAL fluid is useful in the early diagnosis of IPA in neutropenic patients alone or, potentially, as an indication for thoracic computed tomography.
CitationPCR-ELISA for the early diagnosis of invasive pulmonary aspergillus infection in neutropenic patients. 1998, 51 (9):652-6 J. Clin. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
- Development and optimization of quantitative PCR for the diagnosis of invasive aspergillosis with bronchoalveolar lavage fluid.
- Authors: Khot PD, Ko DL, Hackman RC, Fredricks DN
- Issue date: 2008 May 29
- Clinical evaluation of a polymerase chain reaction assay to detect Aspergillus species in bronchoalveolar lavage samples of neutropenic patients.
- Authors: Buchheidt D, Baust C, Skladny H, Baldus M, Bräuninger S, Hehlmann R
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- Semiquantitative detection by real-time PCR of Aspergillus fumigatus in bronchoalveolar lavage fluids and tissue biopsy specimens from patients with invasive aspergillosis.
- Authors: Rantakokko-Jalava K, Laaksonen S, Issakainen J, Vauras J, Nikoskelainen J, Viljanen MK, Salonen J
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Development of a LightCycler PCR assay for detection and quantification of Aspergillus fumigatus DNA in clinical samples from neutropenic patients.
- Authors: Spiess B, Buchheidt D, Baust C, Skladny H, Seifarth W, Zeilfelder U, Leib-Mösch C, Mörz H, Hehlmann R
- Issue date: 2003 May
- Detection of Aspergillus species DNA in bronchoalveolar lavage samples by competitive PCR.
- Authors: Bretagne S, Costa JM, Marmorat-Khuong A, Poron F, Cordonnier C, Vidaud M, Fleury-Feith J
- Issue date: 1995 May