Bone density in long term users of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate.
AffiliationPalatine Centre, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To identify any adverse effect on bone density in long term users of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA) for contraception. DESIGN: Cross-sectional measurement of bone density in users with amenorrhoea of more than one year or any woman using DMPA for more than five years. SETTING: Community Family Planning Clinics in Portsmouth and Manchester. POPULATION: One hundred and eighty-five women aged 17-52 years (mean 33.3 years) who had used DMPA for between 1 and 16 years and were attending the clinics for further injections, between August 1994 and August 1996. METHODS: Dual energy X-ray measurement of bone density of femoral neck and lumbar spine, and venous blood sample taken just prior to the next injection of DMPA. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Bone density of femoral neck and lumbar spine and serum oestradiol in relationship to years of DMPA use and duration of amenorrhoea. RESULTS: Most women (n=153) had serum oestradiol levels < 150 pmol/l. Despite this, the mean bone density of the lumbar spine compared with the population mean for women aged 20-59 years gave a Z score (95% CI) of -0.332 (-0.510 to -0.154). There was no significant difference in the mean density of the femoral neck from the normal population mean. CONCLUSION: Despite amenorrhoea and low serum oestradiol, this sample of long term DMPA users had bone density only minimally below the normal population mean. We therefore found no clinically important adverse effect on bone density and therefore no reason to recommend bone conserving measures, such as add-back oestrogen.
CitationBone density in long term users of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate. 1998, 105 (7):790-4 Br J Obstet Gynaecol
JournalBritish Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Bone density in women receiving depot medroxyprogesterone acetate for contraception.
- Authors: Cundy T, Evans M, Roberts H, Wattie D, Ames R, Reid IR
- Issue date: 1991 Jul 6
- Bone density among long-term users of medroxyprogesterone acetate as a contraceptive.
- Authors: Paiva LC, Pinto-Neto AM, Faundes A
- Issue date: 1998 Dec
- The effect of past use of the injectable contraceptive depot medroxyprogesterone acetate on bone mineral density in normal post-menopausal women.
- Authors: Orr-Walker BJ, Evans MC, Ames RW, Clearwater JM, Cundy T, Reid IR
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- Long-term depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate and bone mineral density.
- Authors: Tang OS, Tang G, Yip P, Li B, Fan S
- Issue date: 1999 Jan
- Trabecular bone in long-term depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate users.
- Authors: Virutamasen P, Wangsuphachart S, Reinprayoon D, Kriengsinyot R, Leepipatpaiboon S, Gua C
- Issue date: 1994 Sep