AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo different makes of bioimpedance spectrometer (UniQuest-SEAC SFB-3 and Xitron 4000B) were used for a series of measurements on volunteers and patients in intensive care. Although each machine was accurate over the frequency range 5 to 500 kHz when bench tested on model resistor-capacitor circuits, significant differences in their recorded impedance parameters appeared when used in vivo, especially on intensive care patients. A series of laboratory tests was performed on each machine simulating the situation in vivo to identify possible reasons for these differences. Whilst stray capacitance in the environment was identified as the major contributor to variability in high-frequency performance, interaction between electrode impedance and lead positioning was also a factor. The observed phase shift with frequency or time delay (Td) used in the Xitron modeling software appears to be the result of a time constant caused by stray capacitance and so is unlikely to have any biological meaning. Significant differences in the in vivo numerical values produced by bioimpedance spectrometers may be attributed to instrument design, data processing and, in particular, the clinical environment.
CitationSources of error in bioimpedance spectroscopy. 1998, 19 (2):235-45 Physiol Meas
- A model of artefacts produced by stray capacitance during whole body or segmental bioimpedance spectroscopy.
- Authors: Scharfetter H, Hartinger P, Hinghofer-Szalkay H, Hutten H
- Issue date: 1998 May
- Detection and Classification of Measurement Errors in Bioimpedance Spectroscopy.
- Authors: Ayllón D, Gil-Pita R, Seoane F
- Issue date: 2016
- The use of Cole-Cole plots to compare two multifrequency bioimpedance instruments.
- Authors: Stroud DB, Cornish BH, Thomas BJ, Ward LC
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- Measurement errors in multifrequency bioelectrical impedance analyzers with and without impedance electrode mismatch.
- Authors: Bogónez-Franco P, Nescolarde L, Bragós R, Rosell-Ferrer J, Yandiola I
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Evaluation of a foot-to-foot impedance meter measuring extracellular fluid volume in addition to fat-free mass and fat tissue mass.
- Authors: Jaffrin MY, Kieffer R, Moreno MV
- Issue date: 2005 Jul-Aug