AffiliationCancer Research Campaign, Psychological Medicine Group, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNature and frequency of somatic complaints, severity of anxiety and depression, and nature of psychiatric symptoms and disorders were evaluated in 81 adequately treated cancer patients, disease-free or with residual disease, using a controlled, prospective follow-up design. Patients were included in the index group (n=60) if they had persistent somatic complaints or unexplained nature or severity of somatic complaints, or the control group (n=21), if they did not report somatic complaints. Instruments used for evaluation were the Scale for Assessment of Somatic Symptoms, Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale, Psychiatric Assessment Schedule, and DSM-III-R. Common somatic complaints in the index group were pain (19%), fatigue (17%), sensory symptoms (30%), and mixed symptoms (27%). Subjects in the index group significantly (p<0.001) more often had depressive or anxiety disorder (19%) and atypical somatoform disorder (15%). Patients were treated appropriately with psychotropic medications and counseling. Follow-up at 4-6 months revealed a significant reduction in the number of somatic symptoms (p<0.001) and anxiety (p<0.001) and depression (p<0.05) scores. The observations confirm that somatic symptoms may persist in cancer patients, which are related to concomitant psychopathology, and require psychiatric intervention.
CitationPersistent somatization in cancer: a controlled follow-up study. 1998, 45 (3):249-56 J Psychosom Res
JournalJournal of Psychosomatic Research
- The relation between anger management style, mood and somatic symptoms in anxiety disorders and somatoform disorders.
- Authors: Koh KB, Kim DK, Kim SY, Park JK, Han M
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 30
- The relation between anger expression, depression, and somatic symptoms in depressive disorders and somatoform disorders.
- Authors: Koh KB, Kim DK, Kim SY, Park JK
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Somatization revisited: diagnosis and perceived causes of common mental disorders.
- Authors: Henningsen P, Jakobsen T, Schiltenwolf M, Weiss MG
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Somatization: a spectrum of severity.
- Authors: Katon W, Lin E, Von Korff M, Russo J, Lipscomb P, Bush T
- Issue date: 1991 Jan
- The mediating role of anxiety in self-reported somatic complaints of depressed adolescents.
- Authors: Jolly JB, Wherry JN, Wiesner DC, Reed DH, Rule JC, Jolly JM
- Issue date: 1994 Dec