A comparative analysis of lipid-complexed and liposomal amphotericin B preparations in haematological oncology.
AffiliationGlasgow Royal Infirmary.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNo comparative clinical information on the properties of lipid-associated amphotericin preparations is presently available. In this single-centre retrospective analysis over a 5-year period the indications, efficacy and toxicity of true liposomal amphotericin (AmBisome) were compared with a lipid complexed preparation (Abelcet). In a novel approach APACHE III scores were used in addition to neutrophil counts, disease status and additional immunosuppression to accurately assess the severity of illness in both groups and enable valid comparison. Overall, AmBisome at a median dose of 1.9 mg/kg/d was found to have similar clinical outcome to Abelcet at a median dose of 4.8 mg/kg/d. Nephrotoxicity and electrolyte abnormalities were similar in both groups. Rigors and febrile episodes were more common with Abelcet. Prospective randomized comparative trials are required to clarify the optimum dosages and therapeutic and economic issues associated with these agents.
CitationA comparative analysis of lipid-complexed and liposomal amphotericin B preparations in haematological oncology. 1998, 103 (1):198-204 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Effects of liposomal amphotericin B versus an amphotericin B lipid complex on liver histopathology in patients with hematologic malignancies and invasive fungal infections: a retrospective, nonrandomized autopsy study.
- Authors: Chamilos G, Luna M, Lewis RE, Chemaly R, Raad II, Kontoyiannis DP
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Amphotericin B Lipid Complex (Abelcet) in the treatment of invasive mycoses: the North American experience.
- Authors: Lister J
- Issue date: 1996
- [Amphotericin B and its lipid formulations].
- Authors: Ritter J
- Issue date: 2002
- AmBisome (liposomal amphotericin B): a comparative review.
- Authors: Boswell GW, Buell D, Bekersky I
- Issue date: 1998 Jul
- ABELCET treatment.
- Authors: Boyle JA, Swenson CE
- Issue date: 1999 Apr