Schwannoma with features mimicking neuroblastoma: report of two cases with immunohistochemical and ultrastructural findings.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: A study of two cases of a rare variant of benign schwannoma showing areas mimicking neuroblastoma/peripheral primitive neuroectodermal tumour (PNET). METHODS: Sections of formalin fixed, paraffin embedded specimens were studied by tinctorial stains and immunohistochemistry, and the tissue retrieved from formalin was examined by electronmicroscopy in one case. RESULTS: The tumours were small and subcutaneous. Both showed features of benign schwannoma; one had a multinodular plexiform pattern. In addition, rosette-like structures consisting of collagenous cores surrounded by small round cells or slightly larger epithelioid cells were present. Tumour cells were positive for S100 protein, Leu7, and in one case GFAP, but were negative for neurofilament protein, synaptophysin, and MIC2. Type IV collagen surrounded individual cells. Electronmicroscopy in case 2 confirmed schwannian features (lamina, processes) and failed to show features of neuroblastoma (neuroendocrine granules). CONCLUSIONS: Benign schwannomas may contain rosette-like structures mimicking neuroblastoma/PNET. The techniques used confirmed schwannian differentiation only and eliminated neuroblastoma/PNET. These uncommon variants should be recognised by practising histopathologists to avoid erroneous diagnoses and inappropriate treatment.
CitationSchwannoma with features mimicking neuroblastoma: report of two cases with immunohistochemical and ultrastructural findings. 1998, 51 (11):842-5 J. Clin. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
- Cutaneous neuroblastoma-like schwannoma: a report of two cases, one with a plexiform pattern, and a review of the literature.
- Authors: Suchak R, Luzar B, Bacchi CE, Maguire B, Calonje E
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Neuroblastoma-like schwannoma: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: de Saint Aubain Somerhausen N, Valaeys V, Geerts M, André J
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Clinicopathological, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural study of 13 cases of melanotic schwannoma.
- Authors: Zhang HY, Yang GH, Chen HJ, Wei B, Ke Q, Guo H, Ye L, Bu H, Yang K, Zhang YH
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 5
- Neuroblastoma-like schwannoma of the lower labial mucosa: a rare morphologic variant of peripheral nerve sheath tumor.
- Authors: Sedassari BT, da Silva Lascane NA, Cury Gallottini MH, Orsini Machado de Sousa SC, Pinto Júnior Ddos S
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Neuroblastoma-like schwannoma of the skull base: an enigmatic peripheral nerve sheath tumor variant.
- Authors: Kaur K, Kakkar A, Binyaram, Suri V, Garg A, Sharma SC, Sharma BS, Sarkar C, Sharma MC
- Issue date: 2016 Dec