False family history of breast cancer in the family cancer clinic.
Foulkes, William D
Narod, Steven A
Evans, D Gareth R
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Genetics, St Mary's Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: Awareness of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer in both the general public and the medical profession is increasing. Individuals who may be at risk on the basis of a family history are requesting risk determination and appropriate management in a variety of settings. Risk determination relies largely on pedigree analysis and epidemiological data. METHODS: We describe five individuals presenting in the family cancer or genetic counselling clinic where a factitious family or personal history led to erroneous risk estimation. Common factors in these families are a history of benign breast disease, poor communication within families, long survival with early onset or bilateral disease, a lack of detailed knowledge of the illness and treatment in close relatives and inconsistencies in the history in repeated consultations.
CitationFalse family history of breast cancer in the family cancer clinic. 1998, 24 (4):275-9 Eur J Surg Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Prophylactic Oophorectomy: Reducing the U.S. Death Rate from Epithelial Ovarian Cancer. A Continuing Debate.
- Authors: Piver MS
- Issue date: 1996
- The need for oncogenetic counselling. Ten years' experience of a regional oncogenetic clinic.
- Authors: Henriksson K, Olsson H, Kristoffersson U
- Issue date: 2004
- A clinically structured and partnered approach to genetic testing in Trinidadian women with breast cancer and their families.
- Authors: Donenberg T, George S, Ali J, Bravo G, Hernandez K, Sookar N, Ashing KT, Narod SA, Akbari MR, Hurley J
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- [Genetic counseling in familial breast cancer].
- Authors: Pichert G
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Ascertainment of familial ovarian cancer in the Aberdeen Genetic Clinic.
- Authors: Gregory H, Schofield A, de Silva D, Semper J, Milner B, Allan L, Haites N
- Issue date: 1996 Mar