Sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma: a study of five cases emphasizing diagnostic criteria.
AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: To study the clinical and histopathological features of sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma, and to define diagnostic criteria for this uncommon soft-tissue tumour. METHODS AND RESULTS: Standard histological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural techniques were applied to five tumours from head and neck, chest wall and groin. Tumours consisted of groups of monomorphic rounded/epithelioid cells surrounded by a prominent collagenous stroma. Tumour cells showed positive vimentin staining but were negative for other markers. They contained prominent rough endoplasmic reticulum and a large Golgi apparatus which in one case was producing collagen secretion granules, an ultrastructural marker for collagen production. Three patients had medium to long-term survival (3-7 years). Of these, one was disease-free for 3 years, and two experienced multiple recurrences: one of the latter died of metastatic disease. CONCLUSION: Criteria for diagnosing this uncommon tumour include: small to medium cell size, clear or pale cytoplasm, cellular arrangement in cords and strands, dense collagenous stroma; vimentin staining; rough endoplasmic reticulum and a Golgi apparatus producing, in well preserved examples, collagen secretion granules. The paper emphasizes the value of electron microscopy, supporting an appropriate histological picture and immunophenotype, in identifying these relatively low-grade sarcomas.
CitationSclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma: a study of five cases emphasizing diagnostic criteria. 1998, 33 (4):354-60 Histopathology
- Oral and maxillofacial sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma: report of five cases.
- Authors: Folk GS, Williams SB, Foss RB, Fanburg-Smith JC
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Overexpression of MDM2 in a sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma: genetic, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study of a case.
- Authors: Jiao YF, Nakamura S, Sugai T, Uesugi N, Habano W, Ogata M, Fujioka T
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- [Sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma].
- Authors: Boudová L, Michal M, Kinkor Z, Bencík V, Husek K, Mukensnabl P, Rousarová M
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- MUC4 is a sensitive and extremely useful marker for sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma: association with FUS gene rearrangement.
- Authors: Doyle LA, Wang WL, Dal Cin P, Lopez-Terrada D, Mertens F, Lazar AJ, Fletcher CD, Hornick JL
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma of the kidney: clinicopathologic and molecular study of a rare neoplasm at a novel location.
- Authors: Ohlmann CH, Brecht IB, Junker K, van der Zee JA, Nistor A, Bohle RM, Stöckle M, Metzler M, Hartmann A, Agaimy A
- Issue date: 2015 Aug