Growth hormone replacement in an adult with mild growth hormone deficiency and hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy: growth hormone restores independent mobility.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present the case of an adult patient with growth hormone (GH) insufficiency and hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy type 1. Stopping GH replacement at the attainment of final height was associated with a marked reduction in power and mobility, resulting in the patient becoming wheelchair bound. GH replacement was assessed in a double-blind placebo-controlled trial. During the GH replacement arm of the trial, the patient's mobility and independence returned to previous levels. We suggest that the indications for GH replacement in adults should take account of other medical problems, in particular neuromuscular disorders, as well as the degree of GH deficiency.
CitationGrowth hormone replacement in an adult with mild growth hormone deficiency and hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy: growth hormone restores independent mobility. 1998, 50 (4):232-6 Horm. Res.
- Continuation of growth hormone (GH) replacement in GH-deficient patients during transition from childhood to adulthood: a two-year placebo-controlled study.
- Authors: Vahl N, Juul A, Jørgensen JO, Orskov H, Skakkebaek NE, Christiansen JS
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Safety and efficacy of growth hormone (GH) during extended treatment of adult Japanese patients with GH deficiency (GHD).
- Authors: Chihara K, Kato Y, Kohno H, Takano K, Tanaka T, Teramoto A, Shimatsu A
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Discontinuing long-term GH replacement therapy--a randomized, placebo-controlled crossover trial in adult GH deficiency.
- Authors: Filipsson Nyström H, Barbosa EJ, Nilsson AG, Norrman LL, Ragnarsson O, Johannsson G
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- The effect of growth hormone substitution on cognitive performance in adult patients with hypopituitarism.
- Authors: Oertel H, Schneider HJ, Stalla GK, Holsboer F, Zihl J
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Growth hormone (GH) replacement therapy in adult-onset gh deficiency: effects on body composition in men and women in a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.
- Authors: Hoffman AR, Kuntze JE, Baptista J, Baum HB, Baumann GP, Biller BM, Clark RV, Cook D, Inzucchi SE, Kleinberg D, Klibanski A, Phillips LS, Ridgway EC, Robbins RJ, Schlechte J, Sharma M, Thorner MO, Vance ML
- Issue date: 2004 May