Serum insulin-like growth factor-I, IGF binding protein-3 and IGFBP-3 protease activity after cranial irradiation.
Shalet, Stephen M
Price, David A
Wales, J K H
Gill, Matthew S
Whatmore, Andrew J
Clayton, Peter E
AffiliationRoyal Manchester Children's Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe relationship between peak growth hormone (GH), insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), IGF-I binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3) and IGFBP-3 protease activity was studied in 28 children and adolescents undergoing investigation of pituitary function 0.4-14.2 years after cranial or craniospinal irradiation for the treatment of CNS tumours distant from the hypothalamic-pituitary axis (n = 16) or prophylaxis against CNS leukaemia (n = 12). Seven out of 15 patients with GH deficiency (GHD) (defined as a peak GH concentration <7.5 ng/ml in a stimulation test) had IGF-I <-2 standard deviation score (SDS). None of the 28 patients had serum IGFBP-3 concentrations measured by radioimmunoassay (RIA) <-1.5 SDS with no difference between those with and without GHD. IGFBP-3 concentrations measured by RIA were strongly correlated to IGFBP-3 band density on Western ligand blot (WLB) (r = 0.71; p < 0.0001). IGFBP-3 protease activity was negatively correlated to IGFBP-3 by RIA (r = -0.55; p < 0.01) and to IGFBP-3 by WLB (r = -0.51; p < 0.01). Twenty-two patients had normal IGFBP-3 protease activity (<30% of the activity in pregnancy serum) indicating that serum IGFBP-3 protease activity does not account for the normal levels of IGFBP-3 in RIA. Low serum IGF-I but normal IGFBP-3 concentrations and in the majority normal IGFBP-3 protease activity was found in patients in the years after CNS irradiation. Neither serum IGF-I nor IGFBP-3 can be used as a reliable index of the development of radiation-induced GHD.
CitationSerum insulin-like growth factor-I, IGF binding protein-3 and IGFBP-3 protease activity after cranial irradiation. 1998, 50 (2):71-7 Horm. Res.
- Insulin-like growth factor I, IGF binding protein 3, and IGFBP protease activity: relation to anthropometric indices in solid tumours or leukaemia.
- Authors: Brennan BM, Gill M, Pennells L, Eden OB, Thomas AG, Clayton PE
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Prediction of the outcome of growth hormone provocative testing in short children by measurement of serum levels of insulin-like growth factor I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3.
- Authors: Juul A, Skakkebaek NE
- Issue date: 1997 Feb
- Monitoring serum insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), IGF binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3), IGF-I/IGFBP-3 molar ratio and leptin during growth hormone treatment for disordered growth.
- Authors: Tillmann V, Patel L, Gill MS, Whatmore AJ, Price DA, Kibirige MS, Wales JK, Clayton PE
- Issue date: 2000 Sep
- The role of insulin like growth factor (IGF)-1 and IGF-binding protein-3 in diagnosis of Growth Hormone Deficiency in short stature children.
- Authors: Haghshenas Z, Sotoudeh K, Karamifar H, Karamizadeh Z, Amirhakimi G
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Growth hormone (GH) provocative retesting of 108 young adults with childhood-onset GH deficiency and the diagnostic value of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and IGF-binding protein-3.
- Authors: Juul A, Kastrup KW, Pedersen SA, Skakkebaek NE
- Issue date: 1997 Apr